Thread: Tour of HMS Victory.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Interesting video, Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for sharing that video, Rob. It was a good 'find'. What was said about the gunnery was interesting. I knew the British were faster at firing but I did not know about the advantage they had using a flintlock firing mechanism to give greater accuracy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good training also gave us the edge, but was not the full story by any means Dave. The larger French crews may have helped when boarding and sorting out their poor sail handling, but often got in the way of the gun servers slowing them down even more.
    The Americans cottoned on very fast to the advantages of the Flinter and look what they achieved with their big Flintlock ignition and upgunned large Frigates. ( Raffer J Larwood please note!)

They always have been very smart innovators.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks also for the Rep Dave. I just spotted it.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good training also gave us the edge, but was not the full story by any means Dave. The larger French crews may have helped when boarding and sorting out their poor sail handling, but often got in the way of the gun servers slowing them down even more.
    The Americans cottoned on very fast to the advantages of the Flinter and look what they achieved with their big Flintlock ignition and upgunned large Frigates. ( Raffer J Larwood please note!)

They always have been very smart innovators.

Rob.
    You know the old saying, my friend... "Nothing begets SUC-cess like EX-cess." Or alternately, "There is no such thing as 'Overkill,' only 'Open Fire' and 'I Need To Reload.'"

:D
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you for sharing , i enjoyed viewing that magnific ship . I have seen some recent vídeos too .
    What happened to the masts?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last time we were at Portsmouth they were unshipped for a major overhaul and some sections were laid out for viewing alongside the ship Ferrante.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is a photo of her as she was at the start of this year.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you Rob, i hope i can travel to UK when all this is passed .
    I need to stay there and see with my eyes.
    Last edited by Ferrante; 04-26-2020 at 06:15.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is certainly well worth the Pilgrimage Ferrante. You can get a multi ticket that lets you also see the Mary Rose, and from a much later period the HMS Warrior. You really need a couple of days there to see the whole dockyard.

Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is also the monitor M33, the Submarine Museum in Gosport and the Museum of Naval Firepower at Priddy's Hard (also in Gosport), and if you are OK travelling a few miles outside the city there is the Royal Armouries museum at Fort Nelson. And yes, you need at least a long weekend to do them justice!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Dave,
    would I be correct in thinking that you can get a ticket to cover all of those places.
    We had the Season ticket and on reflection I'm pretty sure it covered most of those you mention.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I got an annual ticket a couple of years ago and went twice, once to see the Marie Rose and Victory and the second time to see the Submarine in Gosport and the general museum in the docks. The first two were magnificent and the Submarine was extremely interesting (I've never been on one before) I went to the Royal Armouries museum at Fort Nelson in Feb this year and wasn't especially impressed but it was free, except for the car parking.

The information about the Marie Rose and the artifacts they were able to salvage were worth the trip on it's own.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The bits I liked best at Fort Nelson were the Bastians and outerworks, seeing them fire one of the modern guns, and the display that showed the effect of armour piercing shells on the armour plate.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The bits I liked best at Fort Nelson were the Bastians and outerworks, seeing them fire one of the modern guns, and the display that showed the effect of armour piercing shells on the armour plate.
    Rob.
    Got it in 2. the shells in the armour plate are outstanding, I'd forgotten about them. The works themselves are good but there are some beautiful ones on mainland Europe.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you all
    Very appreciated info for my future visit . May be in 2021 ...
    You have a lot of great things to see at your country . I admire it .
    Regards