Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Hi Rob, thanks again for your work on these cards.

Not only have I not had a game in an age I've not even been on the site either, what is the world coming to. It's good to see you are as active as ever.

Take care

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear from you John.
    As a friend of mine remarks whenever he calls" I'm still on the right side of the turf' hope you and yours are keeping as well.

There may be a couple more cards to come languishing somewhere in on of my plastic boxes whick are used like a ready locker for shows and often come back still packed for the next outing of a particular scenario to which those particular cards are relevent. I know there are some more all about landing on enemy shores and wrecking a semaphore station somewhere.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

We're good thanks.

You do realize that the problem with this site is I start to get all excited about sailing small ships, and so after signing off I had a quick look at Ebay and this morning bought HMS Victory, she's sailing over from America, with a quick passage might even make it for Christmas.

The problem with that is I need another large French ship to match her and make the fleets even again

I posted a game on my blog back in September, I had intended to put it on here but just didn't get round to it, I'd just bought 6 new ships, mainly 50 gunners and so far only one of them has made it into battle, I do believe I'm becoming more of a collector than a gamer. If you're interested this is a link to the game.
    http://vagabondswargamingblog.blogsp...og-50-gun.html

Being above the turf is always better than the alternative.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Vagabond; 12-09-2020 at 05:44.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    We're good thanks.

You do realize that the problem with this site is I start to get all excited about sailing small ships, and so after signing off I had a quick look at Ebay and this morning bought HMS Victory, she's sailing over from America, with a quick passage might even make it for Christmas.

The problem with that is I need another large French ship to match her and make the fleets even again

I posted a game on my blog back in September, I had intended to put it on here but just didn't get round to it, I'd just bought 6 new ships, mainly 50 gunners and so far only one of them has made it into battle, I do believe I'm becoming more of a collector than a gamer. If you're interested this is a link to the game.
    http://vagabondswargamingblog.blogsp...og-50-gun.html

Being above the turf is always better than the alternative.
    Cheers
    Nice AAR and blog as well. Thanks for sharing!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Superb story John.
    You really ought to post it here so that I can credit you.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Nice AAR and blog as well. Thanks for sharing!
    Jim, sorry I've only just got back on the site, thanks for the rep. funnily enough I just started playing your scenario Duty and Daring from the March 201? Solo campaign last night. Jean Vagabond was just a midshipman (or the French equivalent) back then and is not responsible for the meanderings of the French Frigate that looks like it's about to ram the 1st Rate they are trying to rescue.

You may imagine the game is not going well for our hero, especially as the British 74 arrived on turn 1

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Jim, sorry I've only just got back on the site, thanks for the rep. funnily enough I just started playing your scenario Duty and Daring from the March 201? Solo campaign last night. Jean Vagabond was just a midshipman (or the French equivalent) back then and is not responsible for the meanderings of the French Frigate that looks like it's about to ram the 1st Rate they are trying to rescue.

You may imagine the game is not going well for our hero, especially as the British 74 arrived on turn 1
    You're very welcome for the rep. I admit I had to go back and look at that scenario as I'd completely forgotten anything about it. Having reread it I do recall it being a challenge. I sympathize with your plight; a British 74 on turn 1?!? That's not good at all. Best of luck!!
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    You're very welcome for the rep. I admit I had to go back and look at that scenario as I'd completely forgotten anything about it. Having reread it I do recall it being a challenge. I sympathize with your plight; a British 74 on turn 1?!? That's not good at all. Best of luck!!
    I've just had a big Sunday lunch and a bottle of wine, I don't remember the last time we did this. Anyway I read your AAR and I am using Courageous and I see you used Sybille I believe I might have an even bigger up hill task. Anyway I am just going to my room to see off the British 74 or die in the attempt.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Do you chaps think it worth while doing a 2021 Campaign? No one posted last year.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Do you chaps think it worth while doing a 2021 Campaign? No one posted last year.
    Rob.
    I thought you had a couple of Captains signed up for 2020 but it's hard to get the motivation to write and post the AAR's even if you get chance to play the games so I understand the drop out rate.

I don't know what has happened with lockdown but it seems to have sucked the life out of everyone, even the WoW campaign is struggling to get pilots up to speed and we are halting things to allow people to catch up. I hope it's not the death knell.

I've read your 2 scenarios and they look good to me but you are putting a lot of work into this for very little return from the rest of us. I imagine most here are like me and so like the idea of a campaign and regular games but also know the reality of it is much harder to achieve.

I just read and enjoyed your sailing adventures off the North African coast and look forward to more actions from you in the future.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just seen this John and had sort of commented to that effect on your other post before I read this one.
    I started the Solo games in NA for two reasons. I have no Captain Kiwi, or Captain Smither's to play against during lockdown, and it is much easier to play a game in the AAR section than have to write up the scenario first with rules etc as we do in the Campaign.
    Also if I wish to go off at a tangent i can please myself and experiment with ideas a bit more than if following a set of rules written for the Campaign.
    I will get my next game done this week with a bit of luck and try to do the write up for next week.

Thanks again for your interest and comments.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Myself I don't think it's worth writing the campaign as long as there's a whole year of scenarios for us others to catch up.

I'd say you just focus on having fun with your own actions and then we can immitate yours if we want to join in.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sound advice Jonas.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Rob.
    Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Myself I don't think it's worth writing the campaign as long as there's a whole year of scenarios for us others to catch up.

I'd say you just focus on having fun with your own actions and then we can immitate yours if we want to join in.
    Doesn't seem to be worth time and effort if no one participated last year? I think Jonas has the right idea with getting 2020 done or doing individual scenarios.
    –English Proverb