Thread: SOG Action at HPYC hosted by Dobbs

Default SOG Action at HPYC hosted by Dobbs

I thought I would post a few photos of a game this past Sunday hosted by Dobbs at the Hances Point Yacht Club in Maryland.

We had 7 players and eight ships. The scenario was a breakout of Brest by a squadron of 4 French ships of the line, 3 74s lead by a Tonnant (80). The British squadron is pursuing with 3 74s and one 90. One map edge was shoal water. The action begins when the French commodore realizes his ships will not escape without a fight. The French line wore in succession giving up the gauge to the British in order to maintain formation. This would allow a concentration of fire on the leading ship as they were bearing down in line abreast. Then an untimely wind shift headed the French line allowing the British to bear down at a broad reach. The French decided to wear again. The British then split in an attempt to double the French line. Then the wind shifted back allowing the French to concentrate 4 ships on 2 capturing one by boarding and subsequently sinking another (Dobbs) before the other British ships made it into close action. At the end of the battle in a reversal of tactics the French flagship was dismasted. However with damage on the two remaining British ships they conceded the battle.

Name:  IMG_20200112_133606.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  142.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20200112_154804.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  171.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20200112_154816.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  IMG_20200112_183728.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  164.3 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Eric.
    Nice clear photographs and a very concise account of the maneuvering of the two Squadrons.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I must really break my streak of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Some pictures from the other side (the capture of HMS Bellona and demise of HMS Outrageous)

Name:  20200113_065521.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  155.7 KB

Name:  20200113_065628.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  112.2 KB

The French squadron has recovered from the veering wind and engages the northern arm of the English pincer. The southern arm has gone a little deep...

Name:  20200113_065916.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  111.7 KB

...and is trapped to leeward as the wind backs, leaving them to claw to windward as the northern 74's are ground up in the French mill.

Name:  20200113_070534.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  142.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Always good to see the other side of the picture Doibbs.
    Eric was rep worthy so i can hardly do less for the heroic but vanquished side.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.