Thread: What's on Your Workbench for January?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default What's on Your Workbench for January?

I am working on a rock and a lighthouse.

Name:  20200114_091016.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  20200114_090827.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  116.4 KB

I don't have much experience with washes or dry brushing.

Any input is welcome. My plan is to add dark and light grey shading to the rock for a granite look. I want to add a rusty stain at the base of the lighthouse fading into the cream color as it gets higher.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On weather worn rocks you also get striations of layers of other rock in strata form not always just lateral.add a bit of green here and there to signify plant growth, sometimes almost black, as the green is so dark. Could also be iron staining from corroded mooring rings and chains long since removed by the storms, bird lime from the local seabirds etc. Much more colour than you may imagine.
    Also don't be too precious with shading as on that scale it blends into the background and just messes with the eye like camo. A general rule is the smaller the object the more bold you need to be with colour changes and definition.
    With your naval knowledge the best tip is go outside and have a look at the beech, jetties and weathered buildings. You will see a multitude of colours and lighting effects.

You may also get residual pools of water trapped on some of those ledges.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

A bit of a change from working on my Warhammer 40K models.
    Name:  OI000012.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  112.3 KB
    Name:  OI000021.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  115.4 KB

Once I've finished the ones I'm working on I'll post them on here and the drone.
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.