Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default The real fog of war.

Having enjoyed Boney10's Fleet action using his rules for fog in a scenario, I decided to combine my idea for the Flying Dutchman picture I did earlier in the year with an action between two ships in the fog. Over Christmas I found the time to play out the following action.

Name:  IMG_8409.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  114.6 KB

Here we see HMS Amelia setting out on a fine day in early October to try and locate a French Frigate which has been marauding off the coast and attacking homeward bound merchantmen.

It is not long before a sea mist descends and envelopes the ship.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  48.5 KB

The rest of the scenario will be posted as soon as the pictures are worked up.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Action.

FOG!

As the Amelia sailed along the coast seeking the whereabouts of the French convoy raiders a sea mist suddenly swept in blanketing ship and coastline. Captain Groat immediately ordered a shortening of sails, the log to be cast fro soundings, and an alteration of course out to sea away from any outlying shoals or rocks.

Name:  a.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  48.5 KB

Quite unbeknown to him, the French commerce raider that he was seeking had adopted almost exactly the same attitude and was, unknown to either Captain drawing ever closer to the Amelia.

Name:  IMG_8404.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  56.1 KB

The Dryad's Captain also groped his way through the cloying mist, unable to see more than a cable ahead of the bowsprit end.
    Knowing the coast better than the British, he turned a couple of degrees to port to follow the indentation of the bay ahead and wear ship in order to retrace his course to what he supposed was his safe home hideaway.

Name:  IMG_8408.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  66.6 KB

On the opposite course and in the very light winds with little headway Groat was fighting to maintain his course as the incoming tide drifted him back toward the land.

Name:  IMG_8417.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  171.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8409.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  59.0 KB

Dryade had now succeeded in tacking and was heading home.

Name:  IMG_8413.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  60.1 KB

Amelia continued to make course changes to avoid the coast.

Name:  IMG_8414.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8412.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  202.0 KB

As the wind started to pick up and clear the fog Dryade tacked again.

Name:  IMG_8415.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  70.5 KB

Whilst Amelia continued to claw her way to windward.

Name:  IMG_8416.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  67.3 KB

Within a few minutes the lookout at Amelia's Fore-top mast sighted the mainmast of Dryade emerging above the fog.

Name:  IMG_8418.jpg
Size:  58.2 KB

As soon as dryad's lookouts spotted Amelia, her Captain put her about.

Name:  IMG_8419.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  95.2 KB

This ploy was spotted by Captain Groat who had taken his Dolland glass up into the shrouds.

Name:  IMG_8419a_edited-1.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  61.0 KB

He immediately signaled to the First Officer to bring Amelia about on a converging course, and having the advantage of the wind gauge she came about in splendid fashion.

Name:  IMG_8420.jpg
Size:  125.2 KB

As the fog receded even further both ships approached each other head on as if to see which Captain would flinch first.

As it was Dryad was the first to make a move trying to slip around Amelia and gain the wind gauge by veering out to sea.

Name:  IMG_8424.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  108.7 KB

This maneuver also gave her the chance to bow rake Amelia at long range.
    Name:  IMG_8426.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  133.7 KB

Unfortunately for Dryads Captain the freshening wind chose this moment to veer towards the land and Amelia was caught in stays thus preventing the preemptive move by Dryade.

Name:  IMG_8427.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  151.3 KB

In fact it eventually brought her within the arc of Amelia's forward battery, which took full advantage of this unexpected bonus.

Name:  IMG_8428.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  149.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8429.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  150.0 KB

After an exchange of fire from the tops, both ships having come together slid along each other side and disengaged.

Name:  IMG_8431.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8433.jpg
Size:  128.3 KB

Amelia immediately tacked, and set off in pursuit of the Dryade.

Name:  IMG_8434.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  121.7 KB

Name:  IMG_8435.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  148.0 KB

The wind now chose this moment to slacken again as the two ships jockeyed for an advantageous position.

Name:  IMG_8436.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  179.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8437.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  132.8 KB

It then veered once more.

Name:  IMG_8438.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  190.5 KB

Using the wind to advantage Amelia came about and her broadside almost succeeded in raking the Dryade.

Name:  IMG_8439.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  138.7 KB

With her rudder damaged all she could do was to luff whilst repairs were taken in hand.

Name:  IMG_8440.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  139.4 KB

As Amelia came about in an attempt to close with her Dryade got off a desultory shot with her aft most battery.

Name:  IMG_8441.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  136.7 KB

The wind now veered due south.

Name:  IMG_8442.jpg
Views: 351
Size:  190.7 KB

With her rudder now patched up, a stern chase now commenced for Amelia.

Name:  IMG_8443.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  126.4 KB

Her slight speed advantage gradually allowed her to overhaul the Dryade.

Name:  IMG_8444.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  114.9 KB

As Dryade tried to outfox Captain Groat by turning away.another exchange of fire took place.
    Once again Amelia came out on top as Dryade's guns and crews were gradually put out of action by the attrition.

Name:  IMG_8445.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  125.2 KB

The chase continued as both crews feverishly reloaded.

Name:  IMG_8446.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  114.4 KB

and each captain tried to out maneuver the other.

Name:  IMG_8447.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  114.7 KB

Dryade was first to get off a desultory broadside.

Name:  IMG_8448.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  105.7 KB

However, with consummate skill Captain groat put up his helm and swept down on the Frenchman, and crossing his stern raked his ship, mauling both men and structure badly.

Name:  IMG_8449.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  113.7 KB

Groat now continued his turn whilst reloading.

Name:  IMG_8450.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  115.4 KB

There was nowhere for the Dryade to run.
    The forrard guns spoke again.

Name:  IMG_8451.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  118.6 KB

Dryade was doomed. Unable to out turn Amelia she could only wait for the inevitable reloading yet again.

Name:  IMG_8452.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  134.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8453.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  111.1 KB

Again the sequence was repeated.

Name:  IMG_8454.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  120.5 KB

However coming up into the eye of the wind both Frigates tacked in sequence.
    With a last defiant attempt Dryade fired her depleted broadside into Amelia's hull.
    The devastating reply of Amelia's broadside, forced the Dryade's captain to strike at once, as his decimated crew could no longer manage the ship.

Name:  IMG_8455.jpg
Size:  128.7 KB

Thus was yet another of Napoleon's chess pieces removed from play in the Indian Ocean.

Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-16-2020 at 03:24.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Butcher's Bill.

Bit of a crushing defeat for the French.
    I felt a bit embarrassed and rather hope the rematch sans fog will be a bit less one sided.

.Name:  IMG_8457.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  160.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-15-2020 at 16:00.

Impressive shooting!

Great AAR, Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven.
    The fog was the real reason for playing that. Capt Kiwi and I enjoyed Chris's game at Donny so much, we wondered how we could run it with just a couple of ships for the Solo campaign. The main problem we found was the two ships could miss each other much more easily than a Squadron, so the rules will need a tweak here or there.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the good A.A.R., Rob, and the photographic special effects! It was interesting to see that you used the rules for changing wind direction.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Nice engagement!

Good to see some action on the forum again.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for the good A.A.R., Rob, and the photographic special effects! It was interesting to see that you used the rules for changing wind direction.
    Thank you for the Rep David.
    I was trying to simulate the dispersal of the fog by starting the wind on low and dispersal coming with a rise in the wind. However it almost backfired because both ships had not gone anywhere near each other and the wind change came after about nine moves. When Chris did his he only allowed six cards to be drawn and then played simulating the fog. nine random cards was what made the Dryade start to retrace her steps. We need to refine that by removing some turns from the deck or replacing them with straights if they come up when revealed.
    Other than that hiccup it all seemed to play out pretty well.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Nice engagement!

Good to see some action on the forum again.
    Glad you liked it Jonas. I hope to get another action fought soon.
    Rob.

Nice AAR. Love the fog! Reminds me of the Mr. Hollum's dilemma; Shall we beat to quarters? You're the officer of the watch.....

BTW - Is that a commercial sea mat or something you made?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have to fess up Eric, the mat was bought when I completed my new wargames room. I did not want to trim down my old mat as it is big enough for games at shows and Doncaster. It also goes very well with Chris's mat for the really big games like his Trafalgar. The last fog game I did was a follow the stern lights of the ship in front and heaven help you if you get lost. I did not however have the mastery of Photoshop at that time so the fog was not all that it was cracked up to be. I am now wondering what we can do with a night action. Visibility a bit better I fancy!

Rob.