Thread: First time was a blast!

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Default First time was a blast!

Last night we had our first session ever of SoG. A battle of Heavyweights 2 vs 2. HMS Victory/HMS Royal Sovereign vs Orient/Commerce de Marseille. Not much to write about as a battle report report because basically it was a demo game and I focused more on teaching the rules to my friends than planning effectively. We used some kind of Standard rules "light" with 1 card at a time and checking wind attitude before every turn. My partner had HMS Royal Sovereign and took him some time to get used to get his ship where he wanted to and decided to take a cruise around the islands (Where are you going Andy? and left me in the middle exchanging fire with the 2 French ships . When he managed to get close to the action it was too late because my crew was 80% done. Since he was "fresh" managed to sink the Orient that was also in "the ropes" after heavy fire from my HMS Victory, Commerce the Marseille and R. Sovereign exchanged a few volleys for a few rounds and then we had to call it a tie because it was getting late. Everybody enjoyed the game and we are looking forward for the next session.

Name:  20191205_184551.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  170.1 KBName:  20191205_184606.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  125.7 KBName:  20191205_184615.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  144.1 KBName:  20191205_184621.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  118.5 KBName:  20191205_221358.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  127.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very nice one for openers Juan, and one card rule is good for beginners because it gets less cruising around and more close action, well usually!
    Thanks for posting. I look forward to seeing your next offering. Well done everyone for not ploughing a furrow up any of the islands.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Nice looking islands, I'm very new to the game as well, the one card works and saves a bit of heartache, I had my first game today using two cards for me and one for the AI system and I managed to run aground without any problems although I ended up scraping a victory.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for sharing your photographs and your experiences. I too like your islands. Did you make them yourself?

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Congratulations for the play . It happens when you teach a new one , he spends some time sailing not fighting .
    Nice islands , I like how it looks with the sea cloth .
    Hope to see more battles from you
    Regards

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Thanks John, David and Ferrante, John, glad you managed to win, I am sure it was a great experience for you too. About my islands, I still need to make them more realistic because honestly they are scenery “hills” for Warhammer 40K, that is why they are so flat. I just did the sandy beaches with some beige linoleum.
    Last edited by Mr_Zorro; 12-07-2019 at 08:53.

Nice first mission with big ships.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Taking on such a heavy battle as the your first is quite impressing.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Yeah, big ships, I guess I did not want any player to leave the game too soon and wanted them to stay in the game long enough to learn the basics. Next time I will mix with frigates. Actually if someone can recommend a nice scenario would be great.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you have a look here Juan you will find all sorts of missions with a variety of ships number and sizes.
    there are also a few more in the files.

https://sailsofglory.org/forumdispla...gn-Discussions

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.