Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench, December?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Default What's on your workbench, December?

I'm working on the last my 40 gun ships.

Name:  5886B78E-7DD1-432B-B0CB-F0AFEE298D43.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  147.8 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking good thus far Jonas.
    I have a couple of photos I think you may appreciate of us at the Playford Ball on Saturday.
    I will post in the Wardroom when I get time to download them.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Please do.
    I think I showed a picture of my father and me on my 50th birthday party where I had a theme of Regency and therefore dressed up my friends and family.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will try and find that thread and add mine to yours if I may Jonas.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice 40 guns
    Please let us know when your have more of that finished

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Will do.

I like the look of it without that poop deck. I also lessened the angle of the stern gallery a little bit.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I'm still playing land lubber with some FIW minis from Conquest Miniatures (now made by Warlord). Here are two members of the Compagnie Franches de la Marine and two of Rogers' Raiders:

Name:  IMG-0024.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  193.5 KB

Name:  IMG-0025.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  197.4 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice work Jason.
    It has reminded me that I have some Rangers that just need basing from before i took on overseeing the sails forum.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Nice job Jason . I want to see more from that miniatures , very nice for land actions .
    Rob I want to see yours too when finished
    I am now with Command and Colors

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Adding some foam to my gunboats

Name:  C6D92A96-307A-4163-946D-5AE5C1D9E4D5.jpg
Views: 1293
Size:  286.7 KB

Name:  7EF1697B-4C4B-4EC5-84DB-A0652F09C21A.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  282.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

The foam looks good and so does the mat you are using.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree the foam on that choppy seascape puts the Gilt on the Gingerbread, as the Captain said to the painter.

Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20191221_121222.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  172.5 KB

The Pea Green Boat

I found this bare fiberglass hull abandoned for 30 years a few years back, and have been working on it off and on.

Suzanne finished modifying the mainsail yesterday, and today I got to put it all together.

We figure she's too small for a carronade, so her broadside will be limited to a swivel gun.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-21-2019 at 10:58.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Nice find Dobbs and well done for getting her restored. Just how big is your carronade?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just making a backdrop for my Battle of the Nile scenery.

Name:  IMG_8617.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  170.1 KB

Pasted onto foam board and ready to cut out the outline.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Later today somewhere off the coast of Egypt.

Name:  IMG_8621.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  IMG_8623.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  144.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8624.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  149.1 KB

Just got to add the end flat to the table tomorrow.

Rob.

Rob, I like that background. It gives realism to the game.

What material do you use to make that background? Is a single piece? Or have you glued several pieces?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning Julián
    When I had my old wargames table, I purchased a back-screen from my local hobby shop, since closed down but it came in short lengths. Pictures all had to be photo shopped to get rid of the joins. When I got my new room Eileen painted the wall with sky and clouds, so I bought first my backdrops for the ordinary landscape, and now this Desert one in meter and a half lengths from an on line railway model shop. You get two lengths in a set for about Ł10. So enough to do two sides of the gaming board if you wish it. The only join coming at the corner of the board where it changes direction. Only the joints in the 3d foreshore now need a bit of photo shop work. The paper scene is spray glued onto foam-board of the same length.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are the photos of the Moroccan and Libyan coast which I based the coastline upon.

Name:  Morocco_AlHoceima_dschreiber29-iStock-535314911-1.jpg
Views: 2779
Size:  282.6 KB

Name:  dades-2-1024x469.jpg
Views: 2557
Size:  122.5 KB

Name:  image_processing20181012-4-e4wlsa.jpg
Views: 1047
Size:  160.9 KB

Name:  imagesSBBRF9UJ.jpg
Views: 1061
Size:  6.1 KB

Name:  imagesXTD2GEX1.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  8.7 KB

Rob.

Looks fantastic

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Dobbs, Rob, I would hesitate to fire a musket from that boat.

Röb, brilliant backdrop!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks chaps. It has been a long time coming. So many Railway back scenes just don't cater for the more exotic locations.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Rob it looks really good, I've been thinking of getting a back scene for my western cow town set in New Mexico, the only one I've come up with is by Art Printers, they do a 15" high 00 gauge and 9" high N gauge print by 10' long split into 2 pieces, it looks similar to yours but I don't think it's the same.

You've blended the flat base into the vertical back board very nicely, you can't really see where it changes.

I meant to ask you before, the palm trees, I believe you cut the trunks and leaves in half and re-glued them and ended up with twice as many trees but of the right size. What glue did you use for this, the trees I have are a softish plastic but look the same as yours.

Also inspired by your sea mat I've asked Father Christmas for a similar mat and it arrived today, very happy.

Cheers and Happy Christmas to all

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Dobbs, Rob, I would hesitate to fire a musket from that boat.
    I'm toying with the idea of turning wooden muzzles for swivels to fit in the oarlocks. The breaches would be hollow to allow those champagne streamer poppers to be loaded. It seems good and piratical (and nominally biodegradable).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

I meant to ask you before, the palm trees, I believe you cut the trunks and leaves in half and re-glued them and ended up with twice as many trees but of the right size. What glue did you use for this, the trees I have are a softish plastic but look the same as yours.

Hi John.
    The only thing I did with the trees was cut down the trunks by about a third to half to give a variety of heights comparable with the buildings. Also I gave a wash to the leaves to get rid of the vivid green colour. The trees themselves came from Julián.
    The firm I got the back scene from is :- https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk
    Price was Ł 10.99 P&p Ł3.95.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of turning wooden muzzles for swivels to fit in the oarlocks. The breaches would be hollow to allow those champagne streamer poppers to be loaded. It seems good and piratical (and nominally biodegradable).
    Sounds like a great idea Dobbs. Should cause a lot of laughs.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

After some trouble getting the spray on glue to go off today I finally got the end back scene cut out and added to the board.

Name:  IMG_8626.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  93.6 KB

The overview of round the corner.
    The extra bit of foam on the extreme left is another extension to the coastal plain which I am adding.

Name:  IMG_8625.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  119.6 KB

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hi John.
    The only thing I did with the trees was cut down the trunks by about a third to half to give a variety of heights comparable with the buildings. Also I gave a wash to the leaves to get rid of the vivid green colour. The trees themselves came from Julián.
    The firm I got the back scene from is :- https://www.modelscenerysupplies.co.uk
    Price was Ł 10.99 P&p Ł3.95.

Rob.
    Sorry I must have missunderstood about the trees.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No worries John. I probably did not explain it very well.
    Here is the bit of coast now roughed out to conform to the existing pieces of terrain and ready to sculpt to fit in with the rise and fall of the back-scene.

Name:  IMG_8627.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  122.5 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Over the last two days all that I have managed on my Desert coastline is to glue down the dunes to the bases and give them a coat of watered down PVA to harden them and seal the surface ready for undercoating them tomorrow.

Name:  IMG_8628.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  164.9 KB

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Looks excellent there Rob, I hope to be able to pop up and have a game at some point and return your frigate.
    For me Dec workbench now has me rigging two French ships, a 64 and a 50 for my fleets

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris.
    You know you are welcome at Chez Bligh at any time when we are here.
    I look forward to seeing your newly rigged ships and yourself in the New year.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20191226_172449.jpg
Views: 1022
Size:  121.8 KB

My Tonnant and sloop to whaler conversion are back on the table.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-26-2019 at 15:37.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking forward to the completion of those Dobbs.
    I must get back to a few ships as soon as my coastline project is completed.
    Hoping to get some paint on that this afternoon.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That whaler conversion will be very interesting to see when it's done.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Finally got the base sand coat on after finding the spray can was running out. Fortunately Hobby Craft was open.

So here it is. With any luck I will be able to PVA and add sand to the dunes tomorrow.

Name:  IMG_8629.jpg
Views: 948
Size:  119.6 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well the dunes finally got sanded.

Name:  IMG_8630.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  172.7 KB

They are now dry and ready for shading and highlighting.
    Then the trees can be painted this evening and planted tomorrow.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I actually managed to get my trees painted whilst the Terrain was drying out.

Painting dark green over the plastic green.
    Name:  IMG_8631.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  206.8 KB

all done.
    Name:  IMG_8632.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  186.7 KB

Adding the lighter green highlights.
    Name:  IMG_8633.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  191.2 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Terrain now dry, shaded and dry brushed, all ready for drilling holes for and planting Palms.

Name:  IMG_8634.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  170.6 KB

Rob.

Those palm trees look great

My last work of the year. On my Christmas holidays I am sculpting a fort for the game black seas, it will be part of my harbor. For this, I used a sculpture of the fort of Santa Barbara in the city of Alicante. I have rescaled and modified the dimensions to make it more in line with the game. It is an arduous task but I think I am getting a pretty good result.

Name:  20191230_151542.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  139.6 KB

Name:  20191230_152047.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  156.1 KB

Name:  20191230_151314.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  20191230_151326.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  20191230_151357.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  20191230_151416.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  20191230_151431.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  20191230_151228.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  123.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yet another fine piece of modelling Julián.
    What a commanding position the fortress occupies.
    I will be very interested to see it when painted.
    Thanks for posting yet another inspirational construction.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now completed my new terrain pieces but for a coat of varnish.
    Here they are complete with groves of Palm trees:-

Name:  IMG_8635.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  168.6 KB

And here they are in situ with the previous pieces I made for The Nile.

Name:  IMG_8636.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  135.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8637.jpg
Views: 1005
Size:  108.1 KB

Rob.

Terrain piece TOP

What do you mean by commanding position?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

High and overlooking everything, so that it commands (controls) the area.
    Rob.

yes, It is a fort designed to be in height, not at sea level, its high walls would soon be demolished by a lethal naval artillery.

This castle-fort presents four defensive levels. The oldest levels (1 and 2) were built in the middle ages, its architecture is typical of this era. While level 3 and 4 were built between the seventeenth and eighteenth century largely by the English when they occupied Alicante in the war of Spanish succession.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Wow lot of nice Job these days
    Julián as always the best . Lovely castle from our “torreta”. May be you can sell as building in the web

Rob very nice idea , i need to copy your idea is very nice and real

Dobbs , how is the Mod ?

This Xmas i am far from sea ; Fantasy realms ��

Hello all, I add some photos of the castle finished sculpting, in the absence of small details.

The idea is to make a mold in silicone and proceed to its cloning in resin for those who want. The problem is its size which implies changing the technology when it comes to cloning since a solid block of resin is economically unfeasible. I am in contact with a cloning teacher who is giving me the pertinent instructions to make it hollow and thus save resin and weight.

Name:  20200105_145824.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  129.2 KB

Name:  20200105_145846.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  120.2 KB

Name:  20200105_145939.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  20200105_150103.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  20200105_150120.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  106.2 KB

Name:  20200105_150611.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  20200105_150704.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  20200105_151030.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  137.2 KB

Name:  20200105_151044.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  20200105_151359.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  122.9 KB

Name:  20200105_151516.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  128.9 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Magnificent Julián. Truly magnificent.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Magnificent Julián. Truly magnificent.

Rob.
    Thank you Rob, now I am preparing a cobbled surface with a textured side as a dock with dimesions 20 x 5 cm. When I have the 3D desing done, I will share some photos.