Thread: Waiting next to the mail box

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Default Waiting next to the mail box

Hello guys, still waiting for my pre ordered core set(pushed back to late November). Really eager to try the game and since patient is a virtue that I can't wait for, I decided to order just the necessary accessories and ships to give it a try. This is a list of what I ordered and should be arriving next Monday or Tuesday. Obviously I did not order any of the ships included in the core set. Hope I made the right choices. what do you guys think?

Great Britain

Sails of Glory: HMS Royal Sovereign 1786 British S.O.L Ship Pack
    Sails of Glory: Hamadryad 1797/HMS Mahonesa 1796
    Sails of Glory: HMS Leopard 1790/HMS Isis 1774

France

Sails of Glory: Le Berwick 1795 French S.O.L Ship Pack
    Sails of Glory: Commerce De Bordeaux 1784 French S.O.L Ship Pack
    Sails of Glory: Proserpine 1785 French Frigate Ship Pack

Sails of Glory: Additional Counter Set
    Sails of Glory Additional Ship Mats

Cheers Mates!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That looks a pretty good addition to the Starter set Juan.
    Covers most bases. I would maybe have added a French First Rate to balance the Royal Sovereign is all.
    May you sail with a fair wind and a willing enemy.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Hello again. Yeah, I think you are right. 2 medium French SOL will have a hard time against the HMS Royal Sovereign? In points Britain is 3 points up.

G. Britain

HMS Sovereign SOL 192
    HMS Mahonesa 80
    HMS Leopard 96
    -------

Commerce de Bordeux SOL 143
    Le Berwick SOL 135
    Prosperine 87
    --------

Is it balanced?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Points wise it looks pretty good but if Proserpine gets hammered first the scales would tip the British way. Leopard should be able to take her down with a bit of good captaincy. Le Berwick needs to get after her and Mahonesa before they can gang up on it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Alright, I will make a little report on the outcome of our first battle soon. Got mail! The 1st wave of ships arrived. They are gorgeous!

P.S. Why Commerce de Bourdeux's flag is all white?

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Points wise it looks pretty good but if Proserpine gets hammered first the scales would tip the British way. Leopard should be able to take her down with a bit of good captaincy. Le Berwick needs to get after her and Mahonesa before they can gang up on it.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Congratulations Juan ! Now you can begin sail and experience the sea combat.
    I like your selection of ships
    Regards

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Zorro View Post
    P.S. Why Commerce de Bourdeux's flag is all white?
    Juan, If you look on the box I imagine the date of the ship is when it sailed under the Bourbon Monarchy who had a white flag, it was only changed after the revolution to the tricolour. I think in the 1790's. I'm not sure about the dates but pretty certain about the reason.

Don't forget the game reports.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The transition from the French Bourbon flag went thus.

Name:  31.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  14.7 KB

Some of the Ares French ships also bear the 1790 colour.
    Rob.

Nice starter set, Juan.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Thanks guys!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are welcome Juan.
    That's what we are here for! We try to help any shipmate who finds himself at a stand.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Echoes from the reply to this post from Admiral Bligh about his concerns on how the Francs were going to handle "Royal Sovereign". In his own words: "I would maybe have added a French First Rate to balance the Royal Sovereign, is all". Ok, the SoG compulsive buying itch invaded me again guys and I purchased Orient/Austerlitz to balance the equation (I hope). And once I was at the website I heard a voice whispering in my ear "get the HMS Victory too and sail for Aboukir Bay" wait, what? please repeat "get the HMS Victory and sail for Aboukir Bay". hm, ok, since I am very obedient the floating relic was added to the roster. So this is what we have now:

Great Britain

Sails of Glory: HMS Victory 1765 (1805)
    Sails of Glory: HMS Royal Sovereign 1786 British S.O.L Ship Pack
    Sails of Glory: Hamadryad 1797/HMS Mahonesa 1796
    Sails of Glory: HMS Leopard 1790/HMS Isis 1774

France

Sails of Glory: Orient/Austerlitz 1791
    Sails of Glory: Le Berwick 1795 French S.O.L Ship Pack
    Sails of Glory: Commerce De Bordeaux 1784 French S.O.L Ship Pack
    Sails of Glory: Proserpine 1785 French Frigate Ship Pack

Subject to point theory, the rating on each side is around 570 vs 571 or so. Now I do not know what exactly to do LOL. 4 vs 4, 3 vs 3, which ones? what combination? will be our 1st game and I think it will be too much to handle even in standard rules. what do you guys think, any recommendations?

Cheers!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would say it depends very much on the outlook of your players.
    We try to give the less experienced players a stronger line up, and rely upon the more able commanders to redress the balance. if both sides are equally matched as far as the players go, you can still field a weaker side against a superior force but allow the weaker side crew and captain special ability cards to make up the points value discrepancy. Or of course any combination of ships, skill cards and real or perceived skills amongst your players.
    Or you could just let the points system go hang out to dry and pit your ships against whatever odds they may meet, have a jolly good old ding dong, and who cares who wins or loses just as long as you all have a jolly good time. All these options have their merits, if the ethos and the circumstances are right.
    I usually find passing a bottle of Port around helps considerably.
    Rob.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Juan

Alright, I will do my best to keep the game as balanced as possible. I will "test the waters this weekend" and come up with a little review on Monday.