Thread: Warlord Games Brig.

Default Warlord Games Brig.

Hello mates,

I add some photos about works at a spanish brig.

I have use the hull from Warlord Games and I have done the masts scratch build ussing brass and steel rods.
    I have also sanded the top of the hull because it represent poorly the hamdocks ( it is only my opinion).
    I have added two staples at the back to represent the davits.
    Regarding the ratlines, I have used nickel silver (alpaca) ratlines stronger than brass ratlines.

Name:  20191031_124125.jpg
Views: 1662
Size:  149.6 KB

Name:  20191031_124151.jpg
Views: 1692
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  20191031_143440.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  101.1 KB

Name:  20191031_145152.jpg
Views: 1549
Size:  100.1 KB

Name:  20191101_160055.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  158.2 KB

Name:  20191101_155945.jpg
Views: 2152
Size:  111.2 KB

Regarding the painting, I have used a typical color scheme of the historical period, yellowish ocher and black. The colors are mostly from the citadel brand but I also use modelcolor from vallejo.

The crew is from Eduard miniatures, scale 1/700 but I recommend do not cut the miniature by the marked limit, slightly lengthening the area of the head and legs. That way, we can adjust the size of the miniaures to the reality of the Warlord Games ship scale.

Name:  20191103_171212.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  20191103_171318.jpg
Views: 1595
Size:  110.1 KB

Photos of the finished model.

Name:  20191105_162826.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  20191105_163340.jpg
Views: 1839
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  20191105_163347.jpg
Views: 1568
Size:  134.3 KB

Name:  20191105_163356.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  126.4 KB

Name:  20191105_163413.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  114.7 KB

Name:  20191105_163423.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  142.7 KB

Name:  20191105_163429.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  144.1 KB

Name:  20191105_163441.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  137.3 KB

Name:  20191105_163110.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  167.7 KB

Name:  20191105_163201.jpg
Views: 1581
Size:  166.2 KB

Name:  20191105_163211.jpg
Views: 1540
Size:  133.0 KB

Name:  20191105_163223.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  145.5 KB

Name:  20191105_163234.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  152.3 KB

Name:  20191105_163300.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  147.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A new venture Julián, but executed with your usual panache and attention to detail.
    I also like the masts and cross trees. They look much more sturdy.
    May I ask which ships boats you have used for this new scale model?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    A new venture Julián, but executed with your usual panache and attention to detail.
    I also like the masts and cross trees. They look much more sturdy.
    May I ask which ships boats you have used for this new scale model?

Rob.
    The hull is from Warlord, is the generic brig. I plan to do other ones but with modifications to the sails.

Beautiful work as always. I don't like the stern on the Warlord brig model, just does look right. Yours looks better with the davits.

Are those ship's boats from Langton?

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Beautiful work as always. I don't like the stern on the Warlord brig model, just does look right. Yours looks better with the davits.

Are those ship's boats from Langton?
    Thank you Eric, you are right with the brig's stern, they could have done it better.

The boats are from Meridian

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What scales do Meridian work in Julián?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

What scales do Meridian work in Julián?
    Rob.
    The same that Warlord, 1/700

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very useful to know.
    Thanks Julián.
    Rob.

I forgot to add that the ratlines look amazing. Much better than the ones that Warlord supplies (although I appreciate they give you everything needed in the box).

I forgot to add that the ratlines look amazing. Much better than the ones that Warlord supplies (although I appreciate they give you everything needed in the box).
    The problem is with the type of plastic that the masts are made and on the other hand the type of material of the ratlines. All these does the rigging is not profitable for those ships, it is a matter of a year that the rigging is ruined.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I think that when push comes to shove I will opt for the metal ratlines.

Rob.

I think that when push comes to shove I will opt for the metal ratlines.

Rob.
    You will do correctly, I speak from my experience and I predict a catastrophe with the rigging and masts on the Warlord Games ships. It's a shame but it's the reality.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián.
    Rob.

Thanks Julián.
    Rob.
    Now, I am working in a 3rd rate.

Name:  20191107_212953.jpg
Views: 1532
Size:  86.6 KB

Name:  20191107_213106.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  20191106_205450.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  74.1 KB

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm sad to say I think the vessels look a little too cartoony for my taste.

I'm not sure in what way, but Ares managed to make the ships give a great impression. Yes, their masts/sails support looks bad, but the sails themselves look great and the hulls have a great shape that really captures the shapes in the old sailing ships better than almost any other. Sometimes even Langton get a shape where the sterncastle looks a bit too big taking away from the over all look. That is something that Ares really have suceeded in, capturing the looks and shapes from old paintings.

The ratlines look good, but I still miss the slight sagging of the ratlines between the shrouds that was done on the anchorage store ratlines.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

I'm not sure in what way, but Ares managed to make the ships give a great impression. Yes, their masts/sails support looks bad, but the sails themselves look great and the hulls have a great shape that really captures the shapes in the old sailing ships better than almost any other. Sometimes even Langton get a shape where the sterncastle looks a bit too big taking away from the over all look. That is something that Ares really have suceeded in, capturing the looks and shapes from old paintings.

The ratlines look good, but I still miss the slight sagging of the ratlines between the shrouds that was done on the anchorage store ratlines.
    One factor that increases that cartoonish feeling is the great canyons they have made. I would have liked them to have been correctly scaled but they have not wanted to do so. When I asked why, they answered that it was a technical issue but I know it is not for that.
    I think the same, Ares has a full range of boats with a fairly acceptable design. Regarding Langton, what you say usually happens with their older models.
    The ratlines from Ares are possibly the best I've seen in the market but if they are brass and so thin, I think that their manipulation can be somewhat expensive and risky, I have never worked with this type of ratlines but if you have used some ratlines from Ares, you could confirm this, I would be grateful.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, the size of the guns is part of it, but also somehown they've made that third rate look more like a first rate in your picture from above. Yes it's missing a deck to really look like a first rate. It might be that it's too wide for it's lenght or something.

Yes, it might be older Langtons. I've seen it in a few out of a big range, so it's not a big deal.

Ares ships still have some problems apart from the masts, like the stern gallery on some ships look pretty bad. Still I contribute this to production rather than design. It's also been improved on later ships. (Where they've failed on other accounts.)

The ratlines aren't Ares, but from Keith here on the Anchorage. They were only made for the ships in the starter sadly. Yes, they are made from brass and very thin. They are indeed fiddly to work with and require a ot of patience.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Now, I am working in a 3rd rate.

Name:  20191107_213106.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  94.4 KB
    Are the fighting tops made from Plasticard Julián ?
    If so how do you fit the crosstrees securely?

Rob.

Robe, I hope this help.

Name:  20191108_105832 - copia.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  20191108_105852 - copia.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  89.5 KB

Yes, the size of the guns is part of it, but also somehown they've made that third rate look more like a first rate in your picture from above. Yes it's missing a deck to really look like a first rate. It might be that it's too wide for it's lenght or something.

Yes, it might be older Langtons. I've seen it in a few out of a big range, so it's not a big deal.

Ares ships still have some problems apart from the masts, like the stern gallery on some ships look pretty bad. Still I contribute this to production rather than design. It's also been improved on later ships. (Where they've failed on other accounts.)

The ratlines aren't Ares, but from Keith here on the Anchorage. They were only made for the ships in the starter sadly. Yes, they are made from brass and very thin. They are indeed fiddly to work with and require a ot of patience.
    Honestly, I don't think it looks like a first rate, I have third rate Meridian ships and I have compared them and the dimensions are correct. Simply that Warlord has unnecessarily exaggerated the size of the guns. For the rest, it seems to me that they are properly proportioned.

That is what I thought when I saw the USS Constitution model. Something was out of proportion. I just saw an unboxing video and the resin hull is definitely not as crisp as the plastic hulls.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Robe, I hope this help.

Name:  20191108_105832 - copia.jpg
Views: 1499
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  20191108_105852 - copia.jpg
Views: 1458
Size:  89.5 KB
    That is most useful Julián. I use the same method with my WW2 ships except for the thread. I can see that it gives that extra security for the mast sections.
    For the cross trees I silver solder but with the plastic fighting tops that can't be done.
    How do you fix the cross trees to that lot?
    Rob.

Rob, to fix the cross trees I use superglue. PVC foam glued very well with steel and bass.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I see you also put lashings on this.
    Thanks again for your very patient answers to all these questions Julián.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice colors,
    I like the mast you did Julián
    I am waiting to see that 3rd rate

Rob, to fix the cross trees I use superglue. PVC foam glued very well with steel and bass.
    Further question on this one - What did you make the gaff and boom jaws out of? PVC foam as well?

Further question on this one - What did you make the gaff and boom jaws out of? PVC foam as well?
    Thread + superglue

Thread + superglue
    Great thanks!