Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm sad to say I think the vessels look a little too cartoony for my taste.

I'm not sure in what way, but Ares managed to make the ships give a great impression. Yes, their masts/sails support looks bad, but the sails themselves look great and the hulls have a great shape that really captures the shapes in the old sailing ships better than almost any other. Sometimes even Langton get a shape where the sterncastle looks a bit too big taking away from the over all look. That is something that Ares really have suceeded in, capturing the looks and shapes from old paintings.

The ratlines look good, but I still miss the slight sagging of the ratlines between the shrouds that was done on the anchorage store ratlines.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

I'm not sure in what way, but Ares managed to make the ships give a great impression. Yes, their masts/sails support looks bad, but the sails themselves look great and the hulls have a great shape that really captures the shapes in the old sailing ships better than almost any other. Sometimes even Langton get a shape where the sterncastle looks a bit too big taking away from the over all look. That is something that Ares really have suceeded in, capturing the looks and shapes from old paintings.

The ratlines look good, but I still miss the slight sagging of the ratlines between the shrouds that was done on the anchorage store ratlines.
    One factor that increases that cartoonish feeling is the great canyons they have made. I would have liked them to have been correctly scaled but they have not wanted to do so. When I asked why, they answered that it was a technical issue but I know it is not for that.
    I think the same, Ares has a full range of boats with a fairly acceptable design. Regarding Langton, what you say usually happens with their older models.
    The ratlines from Ares are possibly the best I've seen in the market but if they are brass and so thin, I think that their manipulation can be somewhat expensive and risky, I have never worked with this type of ratlines but if you have used some ratlines from Ares, you could confirm this, I would be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post

That is what I thought when I saw the USS Constitution model. Something was out of proportion. I just saw an unboxing video and the resin hull is definitely not as crisp as the plastic hulls.