Thread: Additional counter sheets?

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Default Additional counter sheets?

Greetings

Is it me or are these really difficult to find in the UK for a reasonable price?

If I end up using 4 ships a side it seems I might need a second counter set once I get the starter set. I assume this is especially true if we were to have four players and needing more than 2 rulers at a time?

Regards

Edwa4

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

For 8 ships I would say you need more than just one set of chits especially if you use larger ships.

If you buy extra starter sets it gives you all the extras more or less for free if you want the ships in it. I have four starters.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Thanks - persuaded me to get a set of additional counters despite being quite expensive as I am not sure when I will get a starter set.

Regards

Edward

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Edward have a look for a company called rarewaves-united on Ebay UK they bring product in from the States, I just bought a set of counters for £10.56 inc postage, I'm not sure exactly how long it took to arrive but about 10 days. Ordered them on the 15th Oct and they arrived early this week.
    So far I've bought 4 ships and 1 plane all individually shipped and at very good prices. USS Constitution for £18.67 inc postage.
    I've not looked recently so things may have changed.
    Cheers

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Thanks - as far as I can see rarewaves don’t have any counters any more - so I sourced some from Germany.

However I have ordered some ships (Carmagnole, Imperial and Mahonesa) from them at very prices - providing they arrive intact without customs issues (hopefully not as each package is below £15). I’ve also ordered a number of ships from a UK eBay source at £9.95 plus p&p as well as more from Zatu.

While the reprinted starter set will be a birthday/Christmas present my wife is already eyeing the couple of ships I have so far and telling me that not only do we have to store them and the others en route but I have to use them too :-).

Regards

Edward

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I ordered 3 ships at the same time from Rarewaves and checked with them that they would ship individually because I was concerned about customs and they did ship 3 separate packages so you should be fine.

The £9.95 ships are from Steves Collectables, I've bought from him before and he's fine, postage is a bit steep on 1 ship but I seem to remember he reduced it considerably for the 2nd one in the package.

I suggested to Mrs Vagabond that we display the ships on the mantle shelf, I won't repeat her reply

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If memory serves, Andrea A. told me a good rule of thumb is one counter-set per four ships on the table.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I suggested to Mrs Vagabond that we display the ships on the mantle shelf, I won't repeat her reply
    I bet you got a dusty answer John.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    If memory serves, Andrea A. told me a good rule of thumb is one counter-set per four ships on the table.
    That is the rule that I have always used myself DB. I have three sets of counters in the bags, and if we do a large game at Doncaster I use the ship logs you can download from the files and we just mark off the damage and then return the chits to the bags.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

That’s good to know - when the preorder starter set arrives and the counter set firm Germany I will have enough for 8 ships which is pretty much the maximum I plan to have on the table at any one time using a 6’ x 4’ cloth.

Regards

Edward

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is a very sensible size of playing surface Edward. Mine is 5' x 3.6' which is as far as I can reach from the long edge and the distance from the wall to the door.
    It fits two official mats with a bit of space at the ends for play mats.
    Rob.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

To get the 6’ x 4’ dark sea cloth mat up I have to get the folding tables in from the garage which form a 72” x 54” surface.

On the other hand I found an old Chessex hex blue map which is about 54” x 32” which could go on the dining table for quick pick up games if one ignores the hexes. I put a model of HMS Spartiate on it earlier and it seemed to work OK.

Regards

Edward

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Edward I have a bone to pick with you, I'd seen the ships from Steves Collectables but been strong and not looked too closely, but following your comments I had a good look at them and ended up buying the 3 Portland 50 gun ships and 2 French 64's and to cap it all I ordered a British frigate from the States. hopefully I can stop now.

In a friendly effort to get my own back - have you seen the starter set on Ebay £75 with 2 of the very big French 1st rate ships thrown in. It is an auction item but might be worth a punt.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

I had seen the eBay starter offer - originally at £90 post free, now £75 + £8+ postage. I didn’t really want either of the ships.

The preorder deal from Entoyment is much better in that it is £79.19 for the starter set, 3 ships and the coastal batteries set. If you spend a total of £80 it will be post free (as they kindly confirmed to me).

Regards

Edward

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Edward that is an excellent deal, and well worth the wait.

I've just had a look at Entoyments deal, the 3 additional ships are the ones I ordered yesterday and I would quite like the coastal pack for the batteries mats, ah well you win some you lose some
    Last edited by Vagabond; 11-04-2019 at 02:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It is in fact a super deal.
    Entoyment are doing us proud yet again.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is the rule that I have always used myself DB. I have three sets of counters in the bags, and if we do a large game at Doncaster I use the ship logs you can download from the files and we just mark off the damage and then return the chits to the bags.
    Rob.
    Precisely how I prefer to play, use a laminated paper log and a grease pencil--this also allows for repair, rearm and crew transfer mechanics in longer campaigns, say if you wanted to try to cannibalize a near-wreck or two to get a less-damaged ship back up closer to full strength.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Precisely how I prefer to play, use a laminated paper log and a grease pencil--this also allows for repair, rearm and crew transfer mechanics in longer campaigns, say if you wanted to try to cannibalize a near-wreck or two to get a less-damaged ship back up closer to full strength.
    +1 - Here as well.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

I’ve received the set of additional counters (via eBay) so - with the ship mat set I got last week, the pdf rules and a couple of SoL and a couple of frigates I can test the rules this weekend.

Regards

Edward

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Any questions Edward.
    Just let us know.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

I just received additional tokens and ship mats. Ordered from http://miniaturemarket.com/

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Glad to find this thread. Answered one of my questions, about counter sheets to ships ratio. Second question, does anyone have a list of how many of each counter make up a set. For an example, in the A counters, how many 0's, how many 1's, etc. Thanks!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here you go, James:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/downloa...do=file&id=143

A very handy table.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Thanks Dobbs. This is great. So much awesome stuff tucked away in this forum!

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

Having it had a chance for ages I finally managed to test out the rules! I’ve now got a starter set so the additional counters I bought last year will not be needed until I do a big scenario (I’ve got player mats for 8 ships).

This afternoon was just pushing around Terpsichore and Courageuse on a card table using the basic rules to get a feel of things. Courageuse struck in the end but Terpsichore was in bad shape (not helped by getting in irons when I miscalculated). There were quite a few occasions when one or both ships were just out of range or just out of arc.

Enjoyable nevertheless. Hopefully a 2 vs 2 solo game next weekend with standard rules.

Regards

Edward

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear you are enjoying the game Edward. You will find that wth two vs two situations the action will speed up quite a lot.
    Try posting a couple of pictures of your action when you do your next try out. I would love to see them.
    Rob.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

In the throes of national ships Genereux and Courageuse against HMS Terpsichore and HMS Africa [Defense had a broken mainmast out of the box so is in the ship year for repair].

Name:  D38CE914-9817-40B5-9E7E-DCFA35D88A86.jpeg
Views: 247
Size:  86.8 KB

A purrfect shot.

More (real) AAR to come - our other feline had to be removed for picking up the wind indicator and flipping the range ruler all over the table.

Regards

Edward

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Reminds me rather of my cat Salem. Fortunately now he is much older he can only jump onto the games table if assisted these days.
    Stopped a lot of cards going astray.
    Rob.