Thread: When is Ares going to release new ships ?

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Default When is Ares going to release new ships ?

I Asked at the web but no News ....
    They promised ships like Santísima Trinidad
    Any update ?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

All I can say at the moment is that the Starter set is due for re-release this month.
    We usually get hot news of any releases either from Dave Manley or Diamond Back, who have long established connections through play testing and being advisors to Ares. If anyone knows they will be the first.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just checked this on Ares upcoming list, and the release date is now pushed back to next month.

Deja vu?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Same story...

I would love some special pack like HMS Victory.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

So would I Sven, and Second Rate would not go amiss. Think of all the conversions you could do with one of those without changing much but the cards.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Every couple months I write in asking about targets where I can start over-the-horizon Advance Research, and I get nothing. Can't even get the ID codes for the coming WGS German bombers to plug into the checklist.

Starting to wonder if Wave 4 undersold and burned my credibility...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Should not have thought that was the case DB.
    Your insight is still better than Ares seems to be.
    As far as sails go, most of the chaps I know over here bought in, and for conversions too. I must have at least three of each of the merchants, plus two of the Richards, and a couple I got as presents for friends too.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

If wave 4 undersold I should say it was due to the scale /size issue rather than the consituant parts, I thought all the ships were useful, except for the obvious point.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I'm not sure that it did, or that the scale issue was indeed an issue. I don't think most players would have noticed to be honest, just as most aren't fussed by the Sopwith Troll and upper wing or the other errors in Ares' WW1 and WW2 aircraft. The issue is that Sails is a niche game in a niche market and most likely sits at the bottom of the list of money makers for the company. The unavailability of the starter set doesn't help. Ares probably doesn't need to make new models over and above the ones they haves talked about in the past - Santissima Trinidad, Indefatigable, merchants/ auxiliaries, it needs to keep the starter and the existing ships in print. Even with that strategy I'm not expecting any new models before 2021 (i may be pleasantly surprised but.....). If the significantly more popular WoG WW1 is on a long break from new models then there should be no surprise that SoG isn't feeling the love

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got to agree with you here Dave. We have said much the same of Wings in the past, and we like the new BSG and Tripods are a niche of a niche in a niche. I will just have to continue converting my First Rates into a few 90s and hope that Indefatigable pops up sometime. Thank goodness for Clipper and his Santissima says I.

Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well said about Clipper Rob, if not for him eh.
    Understand what Dave is saying also, we all want new and exciting models for our fav games but Ares cannot please all of us. I would be happy enough with a couple of new models but realise Sails is not high on the priority scale ... unfortunately, wish they would keep the basic sets in stock.

Shame for us but there we go, I suppose I cant really complain as I have a few ships in my collection, dont stop me wanting a few specials though

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Lack of "Basics" availability has been one of Ares's Achilles heels since even the Nexus days... there are a lot of ideas that've been spitballed to tackle it over the years, but all are dependent on cash flow and factory time, two things Ares struggles with as a little fish in a big pond.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Yes, right now the British second rate is the biggest gap.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

*British Second Rate
    *British Razee Frigate
    *Mediterranean Xebec
    *Mediterranean Galley
    *American Light Frigate
    *American Medium Frigate
    *Regular-release American Heavy Frigate
    *British Cruizer brig-sloop
    *Spanish Medium/Heavy Frigate
    *Spanish 64-gun/similar light 2-decker
    *Generic Light Merchant
    *Generic Medium/Heavy Merchant

Anything else I missed?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Just saw the discussion about the new German bombers on the Aerodrome and noted the comment about Ares moving to applique for colour schemes rather than painting. I wonder if that has an effect on new Sails models, which I'm guessing are less amenable to the applique process?

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That is a good question, David. The first and second wave were painted some other way than the third and fourth.

DB: I already have HMS Indefatigable and Nuestra Seńora de la Santísima Trinidad. (Fit that on any base...) I could use a few more transports, perhaps.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Maybe some Spanish 80s

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Jonas, not all of us have your master-modeler skills... I've been reduced to things that can either be snapped together, screwed together, or beaten together with hammers. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Maybe some Spanish 80s
    Spanish 80 is same hull as a 74, just with a few more ports in-use.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like your skills with a hammer could be brought to bear here DB. Just knock out a few more gun ports.

Seriously, if you can use a small drill, it is easy to make a few indentations in the hull for extra gun-ports, Then you can just square up the corners with a scalpel. No need to go deep. Just the impression of squareness will deceive the eye. Then a drop of black paint into the hole and you have a new port. Repeat a couple of times on each side and you have your 80.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-24-2019 at 02:25.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I was meaning correctly sized Spanish 80s

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I wouldn't bank on them being remade - injection plastic moulds cost a few tens of thousands of pounds to manufacture, thats a lot of ships they'd have to shift to cover that

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Then again, if we get a Spanish 80, the existing sculpt could be downgraded to 64s and the older ships, and the new maybe used for the late Landa 74's alongside the Montanes quartet.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 10-25-2019 at 19:24.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An inspired suggestion DB.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Except that IIRC, the Montanes 80s were *smaller* than the archaic-form Doce Apostolos and similar 74s... if memory serves Romero Landa was aiming for something competitive with the British "Commons," rather than clinging to the Large platform which had failed to deliver results in battle.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

The last thing I saw on the starter set reprint was that it was expected in stores before Christmas (source Ares Facebook post from late September).

I’ve ordered a number of ships off eBay and Zatu (in the U.K.) but will obviously need a starter set!

Any further information?

Regards

Edward

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

According to Ares it is due for release this coming month November.
    Rob.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

I’ve just been in touch with Entoyment and they have put a starter set preorder deal up that runs through November for a scheduled December release.

Regards

Edward

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Edward.
    That would tie in well with the time to get them to the distributor and then out to Entoyment if the schedule runs without a hitch.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My pre-order just went in.
    Got to support the store that does more to support us than anyone else in the U.K.

Thanks Edward.
    Rob.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

I was impressed with the fact that Entoyment had specifically followed up my enquiry with Asmodee and then told me about the pre-order deal.

Edward

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The release date on the Ares website for the reprinted Starter Sets has now been pushed into January. https://www.aresgames.eu/upcoming-products

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for this update Dave. I took my eye off the horizon for a few days and lo and behold it receded again!
    I ask myself why I'm not totally surprised by this news? They have missed yet another chance for Christmas bonanza. Maybe they will manage to push the date still further and we can inform the punters at Hammerhead that they cannot get the Starter set yet. As Hammerhead is now the largest show in the Midlands and the North of England I feel that they should take a serious look at why their suppliers keep letting them down on completion dates. Deadlines missed used to have penalty clauses inserted in contracts. Is this no longer deemed to be an incentive for the supplier to remove their digit and get orders out on time?
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I suspect that a small European company like Ares would have great difficulty enforcing a penalty clause in China.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Wouldn't we all Dave!
    That's as near political as I'm allowed to get.
    Rob.