Thread: greetings to you all

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Lex

Default greetings to you all

I am new to the forum and I would like to introduce myself: Lex from The Hague, The Netherlands. I like to be on the water: I go sailing and used to row. One of the reasons I like Sails of Glory but the main reason I like the game are the games I have played at Doncaster.
    I play a lot of games including Sails of Glory and Wings of Glory. I like history and I choose the username of Opdam because a. he is Dutch and b. that is how admiral Wassenaer van Opdam is known in the UK: captain Opdam. Also Wassenaar is a town near The Hague and I used to go camping on one of his former estates: Zuidwyk.
    Wassenaer van Opdam was a colonel of cavalry and became an lieutenant-admiral when Tromp died at Ter Heyde in the first English War (as we Dutch call those wars with England). He opened the Sont at Copenhage which was good for the Republic of the Seven Provinces but unlucky for him a spark in the powder at the battle of Lowestoft at the second English War blew up his ship de Eendragt. He did not survive and was succeeded bij De Ruyter.
    Have fun

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Lex, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. You may have seen me at Doncaster this year, although I spent most of my time playing aircraft games.

There is much on this website to add to your enjoyment of the game, so explore it. Also, please feel free to ask questions about the game. You will find the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Lex

hi David, sure, I remember you giving me usefull information about the WoG rules during our Ace of Aces game . See you next year and maybe have a game with SoG.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A warm welcome from Sweden!

David said most of the rest. We will gladly help out if we can.

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Lex

Thank you Jonas. I will not hesitate to ask questions.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Lex.

I was so busy talking Sweat shirts to you that I totally forgot my duty as Port Admiral. (No Chris and Simon, wrong sort of Port my stout lads!)

So a warm welcome to you from all of us here at the Anchorage Lex.
    May you always sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Lex

thanks Rob, and what as good idea: I will have a glass of port when I play Sails of Glory

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Opdam View Post
    thanks Rob, and what as good idea: I will have a glass of port when I play Sails of Glory
    And I will toast your Admiral Wassenaer van Opdam in a glass of Genever so kindly provided at Doncaster.

Rob,
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Netherlands

Log Entries
    Name
    Guus

Hey Lex,
    good to see you here as well !
    cheers,
    Guus

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome to you Lex, enjoy your time here my friend.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Oh bye the way, seen your pm ref smoke markers, I will get back to you as soon as I can