I am new to the forum and I would like to introduce myself: Lex from The Hague, The Netherlands. I like to be on the water: I go sailing and used to row. One of the reasons I like Sails of Glory but the main reason I like the game are the games I have played at Doncaster.
I play a lot of games including Sails of Glory and Wings of Glory. I like history and I choose the username of Opdam because a. he is Dutch and b. that is how admiral Wassenaer van Opdam is known in the UK: captain Opdam. Also Wassenaar is a town near The Hague and I used to go camping on one of his former estates: Zuidwyk.
Wassenaer van Opdam was a colonel of cavalry and became an lieutenant-admiral when Tromp died at Ter Heyde in the first English War (as we Dutch call those wars with England). He opened the Sont at Copenhage which was good for the Republic of the Seven Provinces but unlucky for him a spark in the powder at the battle of Lowestoft at the second English War blew up his ship de Eendragt. He did not survive and was succeeded bij De Ruyter.
Have fun