Thread: USS Essex

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default USS Essex

A smaller frigate raiding the British whaling fleet in the Pacific during the War of 1812:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1XoIrPxWjI

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very interesting video Jason.
    Plenty of scope for some excellent actions in an unusual setting.

Did you watch the following video on Constitution?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBGxpRvAkfA

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

The attack on the whaling fleet was the basis for the Acheron in "Master and Commander". Of course Essex was a smaller frigate. Here is a good book (and light reading) book about the building and career of the Essex:

https://www.amazon.com/USS-Essex-Bir...1240497&sr=8-2

Lastly we can't forget about the action off Valparaiso where the shortcomings of the carronade main battery became apparent (something that Porter was against).

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That was a good video, Jason. Thank you for posting the link.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Eric,

I second the book recommendation. Nice read on the Essex, focusing on more than just Captain Porter's exploits, but of course that takes up most of the narrative.

James

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having now got my own USS Essex on the table, I revisited the video clip and it has given me a few more ideas for scenarios, after she conclude her buisness in the Med. There are several good what ifs in the pipeline, like what if Constitution had accompanied her around the Horn?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Captain David Porter? He commanded the navy's first steam ship!

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ologos-Project

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Having now got my own USS Essex on the table, I revisited the video clip and it has given me a few more ideas for scenarios, after she conclude her buisness in the Med. There are several good what ifs in the pipeline, like what if Constitution had accompanied her around the Horn?
    Rob.
    Rob -- can you tell me how you did your Essex? I'd love to give it a try myself. On a related note, I did purchase a second Constitution in the hope of converting it to a sister ship.
    B.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Can't believe I never did a How to of Essex Bill. I just looked back and cant find one anywhere.
    I will have to put my thinking cap on as to which model I used. It was mostly just a paint job and a reflag.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Can't believe I never did a How to of Essex Bill. I just looked back and cant find one anywhere.
    I will have to put my thinking cap on as to which model I used. It was mostly just a paint job and a reflag.
    Rob.
    Thanks! A paint job and re-flag sounds within my feeble modeling capabilities....I await with bated breath.....

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    Rob -- can you tell me how you did your Essex? I'd love to give it a try myself. On a related note, I did purchase a second Constitution in the hope of converting it to a sister ship.
    B.
    Bill, easiest conversion would probably be United States. President you'll have to build a roundhouse. HMS Newcastle you'd need to build up the waist bulwarks, HMS Leander and HMS Cornwallis/Akbar are rather more masochistic--Leander means building up almost a whole new bow almost like Jay Leno's chin. (Above water almost all you'd see is a vertical stem rather than a raked one.)

As for Essex, I'm not sure but I think Rob said he started with either an Amazon or a Concorde.
    Name:  j8565.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  79.2 KBName:  098610405.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  203.7 KB
    Last edited by Diamondback; 12-18-2020 at 15:26.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are right DB. Now you have jogged my memory. It was an Amazon from the second hand Starter Set I got from Raffer J Larwood. Still have not decided what to do with the Concorde. Anything spring to your mind?
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Bill, easiest conversion would probably be United States. President you'll have to build a roundhouse.
    DB, I'm pretty sure United States was the one with the roundhouse, and it earned her the nickname "Old Wagon" due to the impact on sailing quality.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Thanks, Dobbs--had a 50/50 shot and misremembered.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

You are right DB. Now you have jogged my memory. It was an Amazon from the second hand Starter Set I got from Raffer J Larwood. Still have not decided what to do with the Concorde. Anything spring to your mind?
    Rob.
    Ceres or Fee? No cutting required just simple rename and maybe minor stat tweak.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ceres or Fee? No cutting required just simple rename and maybe minor stat tweak.
    Great DB. Just rminded me why you are Comptroller of the Navy Board!
    Bligh.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I don't understand. Are Ceres and Fee two American ships?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I don't understand. Are Ceres and Fee two American ships?
    No, Rob was looking for something to do with a surplus Concorde and I was suggesting a zero-effort option not even a reflag. Bit of a tangent. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB