Hybrid View

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Spot on! This was true of all these multi barrelled guns Dave.

The seven barrelled gun weilded by Harper fired all barrels in quick succession and consequently had a kick like a Mule, plus if your man went down having started the sequence the gun woul spin around on the floor or deck continuing to discharge, and indiscriminately hitting friend or foe alike. This is the main reason that the Navy discontinued its use as a boarding weapon.

Rob.
    Sounds like the Harper gun would have been better employed as a shipboard fixed-mount for suppression fire while the boarding team made their approach. Technology only carries you so far if you don't develop Doctrine to effectively employ it... I believe the modern buzzword is "Failure of Imagination."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds about right to me DB. I can imagine the old shellbacks saying, why would we need tha when we have swivle guns which acomplish the same thing and expell more shot.
    During my research into the history of firearms the one thing which came through loud and clear was the resistance of the Horse Guards and the Admiralty to any new innovations. This was also true of foreign Powers at the time, and continued certainly up to the First World War within many departments of the War Office. I do not have enough knowledge to comment on later periods but could hazzard a guess.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.