Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Is there anybody there?

Is anybody out there ploughing the briny except myself and Dave.
    No one but we two have posted since the 24th.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I am, but 1/600 WW2 coastal as well as developing my 1/2400 age of sail fleet action rules

I‘m still here, but on vacation.

The last days I sneaked through the humor of the sea section.

At the moment I prefer land based action.

(Picture is from le Musée de la cavallerie a Saumur)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quiet, but still in-and-out while I wait for somebody to see fit to reply to my emails and give me a clue what's going on and where to direct research efforts. In the meantime, when I'm not pushing the Ill Tempered Mutant Landcrab's wheelchair or having to fight the Lizards That Time Forgot over my meals (seriously, Junior tried to steal my SALAD last night, and that's definitely not T-rex chow), and while I wait for parts on the His & Hers rifles and kit-sets for each, I'm trying to figure out what all I still have for Wings catch-up, and what all research irons I have in the fire here and where I left off on them.

Seriously, if Ares doesn't want this game to die they need to get their crap together and AT LEAST put out a Rules & Accessories Pack for the new guys to buy alongside all those shelfwarming ships...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I must admit that I am getting a little stale myself. No reflection on you gentlemen who have put in a mammoth time and effort over the years to keep the posts and threads going. People like yourselves, Jonas, Captain Duff, Redcoat, Dobbs etc. are the life blood of the site. It is a pity that some more of the youngsters are not as enthusiastic as Jason B, and Vagabond.

I am fast running out of topics to keep things ticking over, and Beer of the day, pub signs and jokes can't last forever.
    Any help would be much appreciated even if it were only a Kiss me hardy, which does remind me of one joke Dave has missed thus far!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Nearly 8 years that I was a foundation member of this forum.

I look for something „sailorish“ when visiting the town of Angers today.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven my dear Comte.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I'm still here too! Summertime doesn't allow me much time for pursuing my Napoleonic navy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well at least it is a relief to hear from some of you old stalwarts Dobbs.
    I was feeling rather isolated. Almost went to play with my Tripods.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Apologies for not joining in too much myself, just circumstances I am afraid, but light seen on the horizon

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Was not getting at anybody Chris especially you regular posters. Just trying to get a response from a few of the shipmates on the books who don't post. Glad to hear things are getting sorted out at your end though.
    you have my best wishes as you know dear friend.
    Rob.

Rob: I actually started some paintwork on a HMS Leander model that I picked up at a recent convention. More importantly earlier this month I went to Dobbs' house for a multiple player SoG game that featured ships of the line, merchants, wind shifts and unfortunately collisions for the French .

As for Ares a review of their website will show all the splashy new board game projects and of course BSG that are keeping their attention away from poor old SoG. More ominously Warlord Games are set to release a Napoleonic age of sail game (Black Seas) this fall and Firelock is set to deliver Oak and Iron from Kickstarter in December. Fortunately the former is a different scale and the latter a different period.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well at least it is a relief to hear from some of you old stalwarts Dobbs.
    I was feeling rather isolated. Almost went to play with my Tripods.
    Rob.
    Which make me start to wonder if I'm not being snubbed because I opted-out on... even though I'm passing up an exquisite model of Darth Vader's flagship over what its manufacturer (FFG) did to the Ares team.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    I look for something „sailorish“ when visiting the town of Angers today.
    Not much, but is this something an admiral could earn?

Found it in a little exhibition in the castle of Angers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Comte de Brueys; 08-29-2019 at 14:04.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How about this Order of the Garter Sven.

Name:  KG_badge.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  12.8 KB

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I'm here as well just not that often and I just tried to post a game I played today but couldn't figure out how to attach the pictures, it will be a few days before I can get back to have another go. Looks like I have to create an album so another learning experience but at least I got round to adding an Avatar I hope.

Captain Duff if you see this, I used the sheet you sent me regarding the sequence of play and it came in very useful, so a big thanks from me.
    Cheers

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Seriously, if Ares doesn't want this game to die they need to get their crap together and AT LEAST put out a Rules & Accessories Pack for the new guys to buy alongside all those shelfwarming ships...
    In my last chat with Ares they said the starter pack was being reprinted, although no timescale was given
    Last edited by David Manley; 08-30-2019 at 00:20.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Glad it helped John, any amendments or suggestions let me know and Ill do a. Version 2

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Which make me start to wonder if I'm not being snubbed because I opted-out on...
    Why would you think that? My thoughts on T&T and my non-engagement with that distraction are well known :)

....even though I'm passing up an exquisite model of Darth Vader's flagship over what its manufacturer (FFG) did to the Ares team
    Related how?

I doubt very much you are being "snubbed". Like it or not "Sails" is pretty low on Ares' list of priorities for obvious reasons, so extensive plans for new models are very unlikely to fly when there are some basics (the prmised but forgotten merchants for example) that still aren't on the plot.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I'm here as well just not that often and I just tried to post a game I played today but couldn't figure out how to attach the pictures, it will be a few days before I can get back to have another go. Looks like I have to create an album so another learning experience but at least I got round to adding an Avatar I hope.
    Have you had a look here John? It may help.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ownloading-etc

I like your Avatar bye the way.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Aye Captin' I'm still on board on occasion. Trying to keep up with your major projects. Now that you have a new harbor to work out of, very nice!

We have no Sails nor Wings activity here anymore at all, waiting to see if they even bother to get T & T launched at our local stores, but it requires a Wings interest, sad to say.

My fleet is secure in storage with all my ship projects on hold until time and interest allows. I for one am highly motivated if there is a distinct project and my interest is fueled by working up things for others, but there are few others at this time. At a visit to the local hobby shop my eye was captured by an interesting flyer on the window inviting all interested parties to a meeting of "The Ancient Mariners" group. Haven't gone there yet, they meet just a few miles from my house in the library of a retirement community. Topics range from ship models of ancient Egyptians through the age of sail . . . thought I might show up one evening with a starter set and see if I can drum up or press some crew around Sails.

When the game started to lag a few years ago I bought into it heavily and have lots of ships to share and modify. With the tendency of Ares to lump ships into groups around size and decks and just changing the names of the ships, I started amassing ship drawings and making specific hulls, then sails and doing more accurate ships, but they like my planes get finished, photographed and boxed up. Need to focus on getting more crew. That would be helpful if starter sets do get back into production, I work with a lot of teens who are just looking for something to do that is not electronic . . . blah, blah, blah. . . Ares, S.O.S. Save Our Shipmates!

Meanwhile stay the course, I enjoy the salty few we have and hope to get back into the fray soon as well.BY6.
    Last edited by Clipper1701; 08-30-2019 at 13:08.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Sorry, I've been busy shaving a tableau of the Battle of the Nile into my chest hair. Almost done.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Have you had a look here John? It may help.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....ownloading-etc

I like your Avatar bye the way.
    Rob.
    Sorry Rob, I'm just catching up, yes I found your FAQ section but it was half twelve way past my bed time and I'd had enough. As you know I did manage to post the photos but creating the folder in the library is not at all clear although I eventually managed. Mind you when I came back to it I couldn't find the FAQ section, so it's probably more down to me than anything else.

I quite like the Avatar, it stands out and is quite simple, a bit like me.
    Cheers

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Don't undersell yourself John.
    The tips for navigating the site etc are in the Ahoy section at the top of the Forum page.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Well, life sometimes get into the way. I'm here from time to time and read up on what's happened.
    Sadly not much from Ares, but at least SoG is not dead in the water.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

I'm still here! Just busy with work and other hobbies.
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Right Gary.
    So that was you at Doncaster, and not just a figment of my lurid but fertile imagination.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Well I did raise my arm when they asked "raise your arm if you're not here"!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also seem to remember someone resembling you proposing the Loyal Toast to Her Majesty at the evening meal.

Bligh.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

That could have been me... Or smoke and mirrors. But definitely probably me.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got you dead to rights.

Name:  IMG_8263.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  172.5 KB

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

I wonder if this was before, during, or after a boom card.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We have to ask ourselves which one?
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Let's go with all of them. I can't see how we could go wrong.