Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default The New few Guinea coast.

To christen my new games table and mat I invited Captain Kiwi to a game on Saturday.
    This was to be an HEIC mission to clear the Eastern Indian Ocean of a 50 gun French Privateer which had been preying on the East Indiamen sailing home from Canton. To accomplish the mission and ferret out the Privateer, Captain Kiwi had the Frigate HEIC Nottingham, 44, whilst I sailed in the HEIC Aurora, 16 intending to search inshore of the Nottingham and discover where the Frenchman was hiding amongst the inlets and Islets. The French 50 was to be AI controlled, and as my role was the least onerous I was to run that part of the mission whilst preventing the Frenchman from sinking the little Aurora.
    The story takes up where the Aurora has not only ferreted out the French but caused them to come roaring after her in an attempt to prevent their hideout becoming known. Firing a signal gun the Aurora attracts Captain Kiwi to the scene of action.
    This is what followed.:-

The set up at the start of the action.
    Name:  IMG_7858.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  122.3 KB

Captain Kiwi sights the chase and gets underway.
    Name:  IMG_7856.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  118.1 KB

Both ships try to close the Aurora, The Frenchman has the wind gauge.
    Name:  IMG_7857.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  126.8 KB

Kiwi turns to Port to close the Aurora, whilst the French bow chaser tries the range but misses.
    Name:  IMG_7859.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  146.5 KB

Bligh turns Aurora downwind to try and maximize the distance from the Frenchman.
    Name:  IMG_7860.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  144.5 KB

Kiwi turns harder to port to attempt to mask the Aurora from the French chasers and if possible cross her bow.
    Name:  IMG_7862.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  134.0 KB

It looks as if he may achieve his objective.

Name:  IMG_7863.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  144.7 KB

To distract the French ship he fires an opening long range broadside, to which the French cannot reply being loaded with Chain shot to disable the Sloop.
    Name:  IMG_7864.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  132.2 KB

With the dexterity that only an expert crew can accomplish the 50 comes about and turns the tables on Captain Kiwi by crossing his stern.
    Name:  IMG_7865.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  152.0 KB

Meanwhile Aurora makes good her escape.
    Name:  IMG_7867.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  136.5 KB

The French chain shot makes some inroads into the Nottingham raking her sails and masts.
    Name:  IMG_7868.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  145.9 KB

Not enough damage to prevent Captain Kiwi starting his next maneuver.
    Name:  IMG_7869.jpg
Size:  139.6 KB

Nottingham is now shielding Aurora.
    Name:  IMG_7870.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  162.6 KB

Furthermore employing his chase gun he manages to hit the French ships bow.
    Name:  IMG_7871.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  130.7 KB

Kiwi then turns to Port to try for the weather gauge.
    Name:  IMG_7872.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  141.8 KB

The French 50 now makes a turn to Port herself to keep the distance between the two ships down.
    Name:  IMG_7873.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  138.5 KB

Putting his helm over to starboard once more Kiwi deftly out maneuvers his opponent and delivers a telling broadside to which the Frenchman can only reply with his forrard battery.
    Nottingham's shooting has not only damaged the 80's rudder but also set her on fire amidships.
    Name:  IMG_7874.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  145.0 KB

Name:  IMG_7875.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  162.9 KB

The French return simply damages Nottingham's bow below the waterline and splinters account for several of the crew.
    Name:  IMG_7876.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  119.1 KB

All could now see the name Leander painted on her stern, as she turned away from the conflict so that her crew could the better put out the fire still trying to take a hold on her deck.
    Name:  IMG_7879.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  123.4 KB

Unfortunately no sooner was the fire extinguished than Captain Kiwi turned his ship swiftly to Starboard and rammed into Leander's already damaged bows.
    Name:  IMG_7880.jpg
Size:  141.1 KB

Only small arms fire from the tops was possible, but the Bombay Marine showed their superior skills.
    By now both ships were disentangled, neither having sufficient crew to risk a boarding action.

Name:  IMG_7881.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  143.3 KB

Aurora had made good her escape.
    Name:  IMG_7882.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  152.4 KB

As both ships broke free of each other's embrace another round of musketry took place. Once again the Sepoy marksmen proving their worth.
    Name:  IMG_7884.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  136.5 KB

Both ships now tacked.
    Name:  IMG_7885.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  134.4 KB

Nottingham proving to be the most nimble came out ahead, and heading the Leander crossed her bows. A final raking broadside finally put paid to the Frenchman's aspirations as a new conflagration broke out, With her steering also shot away the Leander's colours hurriedly came down.
    Name:  IMG_7886.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  156.3 KB

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Butcher's Bill.

Name:  IMG_7888.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  181.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7887.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  189.3 KB

Name:  IMG_7889.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  204.2 KB
    The fire would have finished her on the next move.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Nice game report Rob and the mat, cliffs, countryside backboard and your painted sky all come together seamlessly, looks very good.
    Captain Kiwi in a 44 did well to best a 50 gun Leander.

A question about the Butchers Bill, the Leander was on fire but there are no fire markers on her ships log.

I'm just in the middle of a game and one ship caught fire, the fire was put out but created 2 periods of damage which I thought remained on the ships log and therefore would appear on the Butchers Bill. Did I get that wrong?

Cheers

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

50 guns is a big privateer!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi John.
    You have no idea what Kiwi and I do to shortcut in friendly games.
    That little brown chit at the end of Leander's mat is the fire card, just to indicate the fire. It should actually have been placed fire side up until the fire was out. It would then go into the next box and be turned down.
    Please do not do this at home!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    50 guns is a big privateer!
    The French did have some heavy Frigates out in the Indies as you probably know.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    The French did have some heavy Frigates out in the Indies as you probably know.
    Rob.
    Those weren't privateers, though. Aren't privateers by definition privately owned vessels operating under letters of marque rather than, say, a naval frigate?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes mine were Jason probably knocked off an Indiaman and converted it.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Well done, there!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Nice aar Rob and Andy, the backdrop looks great

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris. Mrs Bligh did the sky for me.
    Rob.