Thread: A misunderstanding?

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

So maybe it wasn't before closing, per se, but before really committing to close quarters?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That sounds like a very good hypothesis Jason, and would certainly fit in with my understanding of the accounts given. I will run with that.
    Just looked up a site about different types of shot and it said that Chain was unusual in that it did not lose velocity as quickly as the solid shot because it had a flatter trajectory. That would seem to indicate a shorter range for chain. The spread of canister seems to have been the reason for its optimum range being shorter. I will consult my book on "Firepower" by Duffy when I can find it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One of the variables I did miss, was assessing how often I could use double shot at short range, and how often it would be used more often than finding yourself at extra short range and able to use chain. That may slant the results even more. If you could use it at short range it may well even out for mast and sail damage.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.