Thread: A misunderstanding?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by hedgehobbit View Post
    Did a bit of research but couldn't find any hard data. Here's what I did find:

In the Encyclopedia Britannica (1763 Vol 2) they say this about Chain-shot, "They are used at sea to shoot down yards or masts, and to cut the shrouds or rigging of the ship." So, at least the idea of chain-shots taking down masts isn't a modern (or Victorian) invention. There is an interesting section in this book about Gunnery and while it does give some range information, it's only for ball shot (or "bullets" which is a term they consistently use for cannon shot).

In another document called the Madrass Artillery Records from the mid-1800s, the author states that chain shot tends to go off course after 150 yards or so. "I suspect, in consequence of
    being subject to the objection which may be opposed to every description of chain shot hitherto suggested, amounting to this, that no reliance can be reposed in the shot's adhering to
    the proper track, owing to the air, when the range is in excess of a few 50 yards, retarding the progress of the shot in its expanded state and influencing it to deviate from it's course."

In A Treatise on Naval Gunnery (fourth edition, 1855), they give advice for the effective range of double shot (as a response to multiple battle reports where double or triple shot failed to penetrate at longer ranges). These ranges are between 150 and 250 yards depending on the size of the gun. Interestingly, they also suggest keeping a small number of round shot near the muzzle in a tied up canvas bag to increase the speed of reloading double shot. Similar to a ready rack in tanks.

All this taken together seems to indicate that the rules from Sails of Glory, limiting the range of chain-shot and allowing them to destroy masts, are at least not completely ahistorical although I might be inclined to either stretch out chain-shot to half stick or the reduce the effective range of double-shot down to the purple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Thanks Aaron.
    That pretty well confirms what I thought. Chain is effective at a bit longer range than grape, and did not have the accuracy of ball. When using it at point blank which would be about short range on the ruler it did not need to be too accurate as the sails, masts and rigging gave a huge spread of target. I was talking to an Army gunnery Officer who did some cannon tests for Brigadier Sir Peter Young when he was setting up the Sealed Knot. They tried chain from a cannon on his estate and it shredded a Copse of trees at the end of the meadow.
    Having that as a criteria, I am now happy to institute an unofficial rule for my games to use chain at short range, and test to see if it unbalances the play in any way. At least that is a way to get it into use more often.

Rob.

I always said that Ares got this one backwards! Doubleshot was effective really only at pistol shot range because they generally used less powder and with double round shot the accuracy was very limited with the balls flying off at different directions. The Naval Action PC game simulates this well. Also as David mentioned there are different types of "dismantling" shot. So not just what one thinks of as chain. Onboard the USS Constitutionthere is a nice display of different shot types including bar shot and star shot. There was also chain shot that fit neatly together so it looked like round shot when loaded. One loadout that is not represented, but could be with a house rule is double shot with ball and grape. This was often loaded in QD&FC carronades to clear the enemy decks. One of the US super frigate captains ordered this loaded prior to coming into close action.

Name:  Constitution Ammo.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  159.9 KB

Sorry for the poor quality of the photo. Old phone without a flash!

Rob hopefully some of the gunnery sources I sent in that other thread could be useful here. Oh and as an side I would not put much stock in Total War series games being accurate unless it was a mod.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for those extras Eric. It has raised a few new matters which need consideration.
    I was aware of the split chain shot and bar shot both solid and expanding, but I was unaware of star shot.The name alone suggests how effective it would be in a dismantling role either rigging or for dismembering seamen. One which is hardly ever mentioned is Langrage. Bags of any junk – scrap metal, bolts, rocks, gravel, old musket balls, etc., fired to injure enemy crews. A poor man's Canister one would think Nor do we tend to hear about Link shot which is series of long chain links which unfolded and extended upon firing. I assume also used mainly as dismantling shot.

With reference to the rule for double shot. We have always taken it as any shot doubled save shot like chain which is effectively doubled as inserted. If using double shot it is only effective at the range of the shortest ammunition in the barrel. Ball over grape would therefore only be fired at grapeshot range. We looked extensively at the rules book, and save the chit indicating double balls nowhere does it stipulate that this is the only type allowed. When using it we load with the double symbol chit and a grapeshot chit beneath it.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.