Thanks for those extras Eric. It has raised a few new matters which need consideration.
I was aware of the split chain shot and bar shot both solid and expanding, but I was unaware of star shot.The name alone suggests how effective it would be in a dismantling role either rigging or for dismembering seamen. One which is hardly ever mentioned is Langrage. Bags of any junk – scrap metal, bolts, rocks, gravel, old musket balls, etc., fired to injure enemy crews. A poor man's Canister one would think Nor do we tend to hear about Link shot which is series of long chain links which unfolded and extended upon firing. I assume also used mainly as dismantling shot.

With reference to the rule for double shot. We have always taken it as any shot doubled save shot like chain which is effectively doubled as inserted. If using double shot it is only effective at the range of the shortest ammunition in the barrel. Ball over grape would therefore only be fired at grapeshot range. We looked extensively at the rules book, and save the chit indicating double balls nowhere does it stipulate that this is the only type allowed. When using it we load with the double symbol chit and a grapeshot chit beneath it.

Rob.