Thread: All at Sea, but Keen to Learn the Ropes

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Geoff

Default All at Sea, but Keen to Learn the Ropes

Hello one and all,

Thank you for having such a brilliant and resourceful community for me to join.

Firstly a little about myself.

Keenly interested in navigation during the age of sail, somewhat selective in my obsessions I mainly like the history between HMS Dolphin's circumnavigations, and Flinders publication "A Voyage to Terra Australis" in 1814. As evident by my choice of avatar my soft-spot is for everything Matthew Flinders. Having grown up in South Australia he was greatly responsible for the mapping of the "unknown coast" and literally putting on the map my place of being.

Fortunately in my younger years we were educated in the explorers that shaped Australia and my imagination and interest has been held ever since. My collection of books, silver coins, models and random items has grown slowly and SoG is the natural progression forward. I found SoG when looking for suitable miniature sailing ships. I have little skill to credit for building or craft, some in painting and have found these miniatures an internet muse. Yet to purchase any I hope for guidance from those far wiser and more experienced.

Some heroes of mine - or those that hold my greatest interest is Cook, Bligh, Flinders and Nelson. A list I am sure common among many of you.

I will save my list and request for help in another post. For now, a grand ahoy and look forward to seeing your content!

Regards,
    Geoff (Flinders)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can now welcome you to the Anchorage formally Geoff. On behalf of all the sailors based here at the Anchorage it is good to have you alongside.
    Do join us in the Wardroom for an informal chat and a few bottles of virtual Old Madeira which we recently liberated from a Spanish 74 who was unlucky enough to cross our hawse.
    May you always sail with a fair wind and a willing enemy.

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Geoff, from here in the United Kingdom.