Thread: Non-Ares Fortifications

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default Non-Ares Fortifications

What rules do you use in terms of range, field of fire, etc. for non-Ares fortifications, e.g. a fort from Brigade Models or some other company?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I use the same rules as for the Ares fort nearest to the one I'm using. These are the exceptions. If the Fort is on a prominent headland I allow an extra half ruler for fall of shot at extreme range, but only at half chit numbers rounded up.

I also allow heated shot from the larger forts. Only one shot per three turns, and furnaces have to be heated for six turns after the enemy comes into view before they are ready to supply the first shot. Loading time as mentioned.

Fields of fire can be set to suit the scenario, but I allow independent fire if the battery commands two distinct directions which are facing in different directions just like the two broadsides of a ship are used. both batteries correspond to the card for that type of fort.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have played in a few of Robs scenarios using forts and forts on high ground, the extra range of forts in high ground works well and does seem correct.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

I am thinking about mobile batteries rules
    Using ares rules but with some movement options
    Last edited by Ferrante; 10-18-2019 at 14:02.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A lot will depend on the calibre of your Ordinance and the number and type of guns in your battery Ferrante.

If they are Horse, or Foot, will make a difference or are they siege train. Will they be en-placed when moved into action or just open to retaliatory fire from the Navy in the open?

British batteries had typically had six guns. Five cannon and one Howitzer. French, eight guns, six cannon and two Howitzers. You will note that I do not mention the Spanish guns as I have no real knowledge of their organization.

That is a mighty lot to contend with. You might better be able to amend a set of land based artillery rules to fit your scenario.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    A lot will depend on the calibre of your Ordinance and the number and type of guns in your battery Ferrante.

If they are Horse, or Foot, will make a difference or are they siege train. Will they be en-placed when moved into action or just open to retaliatory fire from the Navy in the open?

British batteries had typically had six guns. Five cannon and one Howitzer. French, eight guns, six cannon and two Howitzers. You will note that I do not mention the Spanish guns as I have no real knowledge of their organization.

That is a mighty lot to contend with. You might better be able to amend a set of land based artillery rules to fit your scenario.

Rob.
    I was thinking about coastal batteries and some military cannons from local garrisons moved by horses .
    Coastal batteries in Spain used to have between 2-4 medium cannons and 20 soldiers . Not great damaged but enough for funny games.

The problem with my double post was caused by my ipad , sorry :)

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

This is one of the coastal batteries here
    It was made in 1769
    Name:  B4431FEE-542B-412E-A045-3D2FA13896B9.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  204.7 KB

Guardias Viejas Battery (Old Guard )
    It was made to fight and control mainly algerian pirates
    Equiped with 4 cannons 24 libs
    The garrison had 1 chivalry team to patrol the coast
    Last edited by Ferrante; 10-18-2019 at 14:11. Reason: Double publish

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks very much as if one of the small Ares fortification cards would suit this.
    Rob.

Like the siege of Toulon 1794 proved: It‘s not only a question of caliber.

Fixed guns on higher terrain can cause a lot of pain to ships of all rates. Especially if the Operation need some days and you need to anchor, etc...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quite so Sven.
    A steady gun platform, probably ranged in for various distances. Higher elevation giving longer range with plunging shot, some possibly heated, and little chance of return fire doing much serious damage. All factors which would encourage me to keep away from fortifications.
    As you know from our games at Doncaster, I always give forts on elevated levels a range of a stick and a half.
    Any heated shot that does extra damage is drawn for to see if it starts a fire.

Rob.