P

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very true Pete, and those same principles can be applied to many aspects of leadership outside the structure of the armed forces also. We would all have a much happier, and steady ship if those in authority applied the strictures as described in the Jack Aubrey novels. Respect, trust, and loyalty runs both ways.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

I think the closest we’ll ever see to a real life leader like Aubrey was Sir Ernest Shackleton. One can’t read “South!” By Sir Ernest or “Endurance” by Lansing and not come away inspired. Probably the best story ever told, and the best example of leadership under stress that’s been recorded.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbird View Post
    I think the closest we’ll ever see to a real life leader like Aubrey was Sir Ernest Shackleton. One can’t read “South!” By Sir Ernest or “Endurance” by Lansing and not come away inspired. Probably the best story ever told, and the best example of leadership under stress that’s been recorded.
    I haven't read either of those, but Shackleton was impressive. If you have Amazon Prime, there's a series where a team recreated his boat journey to South Georgia called Chasing Shackleton.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Indeed I have seen it. I’ve had the pleasure of corresponding with Seb Coulthard himself. A wonderfully friendly gentleman indeed.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

South! Was written by Sir Ernest himself and really gives a very accurate account of what happened, minus the fight he had with the carpenter, which is actually quite an important detail to leave out, Lansing’s work is the most complete work in my opinion, if one wants a full account.

One of the things I enjoy about Shackleton, was that underneath his superhuman ability to fix just about any bad situation, he was a real man. He was awful at family, business, and he drank to excess when he was home. He could be extremely vain, petty and hold a grudge like no one else. However, when everything went straight to Hell, there he was. There wasn’t a job that he wouldn’t do and took his turn doing the heavy hard work.

I think this image sums it up best:

The absolutely torturous man-hauling of the ship’s boats captured by expedition photographer Frank Hurley, shows what appears to be Shackleton urging his men on. However, that’s not Shackleton to the left, he’s hitched up with his men somewhere in the middle.