Thread: Naming Ships

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default Naming Ships

Those of you who build or buy custom ships, how do you prefer to pick names for them? Do you search for historical ships or just make up your own names? I have an 8-gun schooner that need to be called something besides "That One" or "Hey, You!"

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

For me all my ships are historical ones.
    However a lot are ship names that are influenced by a historical action, or a home location aka HMS Bristol and a number are based on ships my father served on, he is ex RN. But all are historically accurate for the time period of the game

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I try to keep all my ship names historical excepting the ones I use for the Indian Ocean Campaign were my HEIC Flagship HEIC Nottingham is a fabrication although many of the HEIC ships were named for Cities or Counties.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Do you try to match the historical name with the exact armament?
    Last edited by jasonb; 05-08-2019 at 14:45.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I do.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Me also yes

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

The only American schooner I've found with the right number of cannons is the USS Wasp with 8 2-pounders and 6 swivel guns, commissioned in 1775. I do like that name.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

How about USS Enterprise?

I just assume my schooners are Baltimore clippers and never made it into the history books.

I also have the sister ships of HMS Zealous that were overlooked by history:

HMS Outrageous
    HMS Tenacious

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    How about USS Enterprise?

I just assume my schooners are Baltimore clippers and never made it into the history books.

I also have the sister ships of HMS Zealous that were overlooked by history:

HMS Outrageous
    HMS Tenacious
    I had actually forgotten about the Enterprise. I also like the idea of it being a privateer. I certainly wouldn't mind claiming a heavier armament than the Wasp. The model is from GHQ, and "8-gun schooner" is as much info as they give. I don't know if they had anything particular in mind.

I only once named a French 74 Termeraire class SOL: Timoleon.

Historical name for exact the type of used ship.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    I had actually forgotten about the Enterprise. I also like the idea of it being a privateer. I certainly wouldn't mind claiming a heavier armament than the Wasp. The model is from GHQ, and "8-gun schooner" is as much info as they give. I don't know if they had anything particular in mind.
    I think I'm going to go with the idea that this ship is one of the many privately owned schooners and other unrated vessels that were armed and put to use as blockade runners and privateers during the War of 1812 and go with the fictional but historically appropriate name of Albany.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    The only American schooner I've found with the right number of cannons is the USS Wasp with 8 2-pounders and 6 swivel guns, commissioned in 1775. I do like that name.
    Jeez! That armament is too light even for my small ships. I think I was allowing for cannon down to 4 pdrs.

Maybe Wasp should only use the chain or grape chits with one draw? Still, it's good enough against a merchantman.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Jeez! That armament is too light even for my small ships. I think I was allowing for cannon down to 4 pdrs.

Maybe Wasp should only use the chain or grape chits with one draw? Still, it's good enough against a merchantman.
    It was one of the very first ships acquired by the Continental Navy, so I think that probably explains the poor armament. For mine I'm thinking 8 6-pounders would be a pretty historically accurate armament for a privately owned schooner. What do you think?
    Last edited by jasonb; 05-09-2019 at 13:41.