Thread: Oars

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Question Oars

Have any of you experimented with rules for (at least partially) oar-powered vessels, like those of the Swedish Archipelago Fleet? Have you modified any models?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Well now there is a thought, galleys have been mentioned in game terms but must admit to not taking it any further myself.
    So from me the answers a no and no to models being modified.

The man to speak to would be David Manley, he may have some rules already.
    Last edited by Capn Duff; 04-28-2019 at 15:26.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am sure Dave can put us on the right track Chris, and I for one will be interested to see any rules developed along these lines, as I am sure that such vessels will crop up in the Indian Ocean/ Persian Gulf where my HEIC ships are operating.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Depending on whether I can economically commission a friend to paint ships for me, I may pick up some oar-optional gunboats and such from Langton for Great Lakes actions down the line.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Update: I bought three one-cannon gunboats (with sails and/or oars) from Langton. I think I'm going to put all three on one base and deploy them as a group. I have some ideas for rules, but I'll have to experiment and see what works.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will be interested in anything you come up with Jason.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

At this point in my thinking, it makes sense to me for them to use the most maneuverable movement deck while ignoring the wind direction, although I'm not sure about speed. For a group of gunboats on a single base, I'm also thinking wide firing arcs combined with very low firepower, perhaps only dealing out yellow chits regardless of range. There are so many different types of craft that made use of oars (at least on occasion) that who knows what all this might end up looking like in practice.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I allow my chasers one yellow chit every other card as they had to be aimed more carefully to allow for the pitch of the bow or stern. Very different form the up roll of a broadside. Even some Sloops were equipped with sweeps to enable them to move in difficult conditions.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I allow my chasers one yellow chit every other card as they had to be aimed more carefully to allow for the pitch of the bow or stern. Very different form the up roll of a broadside. Even some Sloops were equipped with sweeps to enable them to move in difficult conditions.
    Rob.
    That's a good point, although maybe slightly less applicable for the type of small, improvised gunboats used by the United States and Britain in the War of 1812, given that they weren't really blue water craft. It wouldn't make much difference on Lake Champlain. Maybe on the Great Lakes, but the wave structure is a bit different than on the open ocean (the swells tend to be *relatively* smaller but closer together, which is incidentally quite dangerous, actually), but I don't really see them being launched in rough weather. Other vessels are likely a different story. What do you think?
    Last edited by jasonb; 05-01-2019 at 07:43.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cant add a lot to that one Jason, as I have little knowledge of conditions on the Great Lakes. I must bow to your Superior knowledge there my dear sir.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

LOL

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The Swedish Kanonslup had two 24 pound guns (fore and aft) which would be quite a bit heavier than your ordinary chaser. Even though it's just "a small rowingboat" it had up to 60 men crew and could use two masts.

In conditions that isn't storm, most vessels would be much more stable at the bow than to the side of the ship. It rolls more than it pitches or sways.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Well, here's a small flotilla with four (presumably heavy) guns fore and two aft. I will also be painting up some with pivot guns, which may get mixed in with the others on two bases or form their own grouping for the sake of rules, which I still need to decide on.

Name:  IMG_1018.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  122.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1019.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  123.6 KB
    Last edited by jasonb; 08-14-2019 at 06:47.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

For firing arcs, I may split the base diagonally into four sections/arcs more or less like the bases in X-Wing, if anyone is familiar with that. These would use the fore and aft arcs, and pivot guns could use all four with a turn to reload and one to change arc if desired. Reloading pivot guns could happen simultaneously with reloading a broadside if on a vessel with side mounted guns as well, like a schooner.
    Last edited by jasonb; 08-14-2019 at 06:48.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like an idea to me Jason. More or less what I do with deck Mortars.
    Rob.