Thread: Silly Question about the USS Constitution Model

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default Silly Question about the USS Constitution Model

Is the USS Constitution model to the same scale as the other ships in the game? I know it was/is big for a frigate of the time, but the model looks massive.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Without resurrecting a very touchy subject All I can say Jason is that it is within the somewhat flexible parameters which Ares uses to size its ships.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I didn't realize it was a touchy subject!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I also play the Star Wars X-Wing miniatures game, and it has somewhat of a sliding scale for the miniatures.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

All the ships are supposed to be the same scale but if you look elsewhere on this site some of the ships are not exactly correct. However, as far as I know, the U.S.S. Constitution is correct.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

But of course as the finest sailing warship to ever part the waves, shouldn't it really be bigger ???

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And that dear readers is how wars are started!
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    And that dear readers is how wars are started!
    Bligh.
    LOL

Had two games at Prague with the USS Constitution and the HMS Agamemnon.

Tried to compare sizes in the internet, because the USS Constitution was the slight bigger ship & HMS Agamemnon had 200+ more crew.

With the newest series of ships (Mahonesa, 64 guns, Bucentaure & East Indiamen), something changed in the scale. I fixed this impression with the smaller gunports of all new series ships.

A model builder's eye can see the difference from a mile, on the table...

Have a look at the picture and you will see the difference.

From the foreground left: USS Constitution - HSM Agamemnon (newest series) - Dryade

At all the old ironsides were huge frigates with impressive armament. So they should be huge on the table. The HMS Agamemnon had two decks (instead of one) and comparable measures I think, but this little scale change makes her looking...

I would not use the word "tiny" in any relation to a Napoleonic RN ship of the line.
    Last edited by Comte de Brueys; 04-29-2019 at 04:33.

For more information, you need do dig a little bit in the former threads.

Well the particulars are what they are. Constitution was indeed longer than that class of 64s. From 3 decks:

Agamemnon: Length gundeck 160'; Keel 131'. Burthen: 1383 tons. 1794 Broadside wgt 678

Constitution: Gundeck 174'; Keel 145'. Burthen: 1576 tons. 1798 Bs wgt 588 (no carronades). Later up to 800 lbs with carronades

Obviously a 2 decker would be larger in general bulk, but shorter. So the model may well be correct.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

USS Constitution is a huge ship in fact, but the model is one out of a very few where the model is too large for the scale. It's not just comparing to the Agamemnon that makes it out of scale. The model is longer than HMS Victory.

Length of Gundeck: 184' 0" Imperial Feet - 56 m
    Length of Keel: 152' 6 ⅝" Imperial Feet - 46.3 m