Thread: New range of buildings. ModelJShip.

Hybrid View

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

You've made an excellent range of buildings, very useful and very well done, picking out individual tiles on the roofs make a huge difference to the finished look of them.

I'm curious about your thoughts on 3D printing versus resin casting, will resin be a cheaper production cost, or do you get a better finished product?
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    You've made an excellent range of buildings, very useful and very well done, picking out individual tiles on the roofs make a huge difference to the finished look of them.

I'm curious about your thoughts on 3D printing versus resin casting, will resin be a cheaper production cost, or do you get a better finished product?
    Cheers
    These buildings have been made in 3D printer but I have textured the roofs with putty. Then I made molds in silicone and later I obtained copies in resin.
    The 3D printing phase was made by another person that I mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I do not know much about 3D printing but I can tell you that without it, this would not have been possible since so much detail and with such straight strokes would not have been able to do it. My decision to make a roof in putty was because after seeing the building in 3D finished, I got the feeling that the roof was a bit poor and finally I decided to make the roofs in putty.

Regarding the production costs that you mention, 3D printing is not expensive in itself. I guess the expensive thing is the design of the object.
    Cloning in resin is not necessarily expensive if you get a number of copies of a single mold (amortization).