Thread: British Frigates - Langton 1/1200

Default British Frigates - Langton 1/1200

Hi all

I'm modeler rather than a gamer, but am absolutely loving working on these Langton models. I can't believe I've not given them a go before.

Three on the go at present - a 28, 36 & 38 gun frigates

Masts up on the 28 gun frigate. I'm now debating standing rigging first or sails ??

P

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

That looks pretty amazing work.

She looks good. I advise you to reinforce the bowsprit with nylon thread. With the passage of time it could come off and ruin the work done.

I attached a link where you can download a small tutorial that I did, maybe you can use some advice

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5u84rjo99...glish.pdf?dl=0

Regards,
    Julián

Julián hi - I downloaded your guide a week or so ago and it is proving very helpful. As far as I am concerned you set the bar for 1/1200 models and I aspire to your level of quality.

The spritsail is attached to the the bowsprit with fine thread (I'm using a flying fishing thread for this) and I will use the Langton method to reinforce the bowsprit join. While you can't see it there is a small hole just behind where the figurehead would be and I'll thread through this to reinforce the joint and go out to the bowsprit as well.

At this stage I am planning on adding the standing rigging ahead of the sails as I think it will be easier that way, but we will see.

Please do yell if you have any further thoughts

John - thanks for your kind words, but still lots to do

P

Exactly, I forgot to mention that that part of the tutorial is out of date. I have also chosen to make the hole where you say, it is much better.

Well that took longer than hoped for,. but less time than expected. Just the foremast stays to be added, before I can think about the sails.

I'm a little disappointed with the quality of my rigging, but it is a learning experience. I need to work out how to keep all the rigging taut as I progress. Still I'm going with Easy Sail for this one and that should hide a multitude of sins

P

Well the standing rigging is complete and first sail on. The jury is out to whether rigging before sails is the way to go, but for a first attempt I like how this is shaping up.

Getting the knack of this now. although for the next frigate I may well anneal the brass sails to ease curving them.

P

Easy Sail complete, and easier than I had hoped for. For the time being it is definitely standing rigging then sails.
    Just ratlines, running rigging and ensigns to go.

P

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly a more novel approach to rigging Pete.
    In what way do you find this method better?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Certainly a more novel approach to rigging Pete.
    In what way do you find this method better?
    Rob.
    Rob I just don’t think I would be able to add the rigging with the sails in situ, and that I would almost certainly knock them off as I tried to rig. Sliding the sails in between the lines was pretty simple and I guess reflects how it was down in real life.

P

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Noted thanks Pete.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Ratlines added and so just running rigging to go

P

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looking very smart now.
    Rob.

Landsman
    Switzerland

Log Entries
    Name
    Peter

Great built! Looks cute

Best Regards
    Peter
    Freundliche Grüsse, best regards
    Peter

Meine Modelle

Just the ensign and pennant to go !!

P

A great work, all this effort has its deserved applause

HMS Brilliant
    Ordered: 9 October 1776
    Built by: Henry Adams, Bucklers Hard.
    Keel laid: February 1777
    Launched: 15 July 1779
    Completed: 4 September 1779 at Portsmouth Dockyard.
    Fate: Taken to pieces at Portsmouth Dockyard in November 1811.

A 6th rate 24 gun frigate,
    UD: 24 × 9-pounder guns
    QD: 4 × 3-pounder guns

Langton Miniatures 1/1200 scale
    NB30 - 28 gun Frigate 'at quarters'
    Easy Sail
    Added furled spritsail and open boat.

P

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    A great work, all this effort has its deserved applause
    Cheers Julián

I learnt a lot from building this, but also from your guide and the photos that you share. Thank you.

The next one is a slightly larger frigate and so should be a little easier and I can apply the lessons learned

thanks again

P

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Another beautifully rendered ship Pete. It is hard to believe that you are just starting out on these ships for the first time.
    Magnificent work.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Another beautifully rendered ship Pete. It is hard to believe that you are just starting out on these ships for the first time.
    Magnificent work.
    Rob.
    Cheers Rob

I'll write up a brief lessons learned and post it here in case it helps anybody. I was pleasantly surprised at how enjoyable and stress free the build was despite the small scale.

P