Attached Images Attached Images  

So is that classified as a "ship" or an aircraft under the rules? :D

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The former - it is a starship, after all :)

Most of the starship wargame rules I have enjoyed over the years have an almost exclusively naval feel (as does Trek itself) - in some cases the rules have been developed from naval rules, ina few cases I've seen SF starship rules adapted for wet nay use (including a very interesting age of sail variant of Full Thrust)

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Most of the starship wargame rules I have enjoyed over the years have an almost exclusively naval feel (as does Trek itself) - in some cases the rules have been developed from naval rules, ina few cases I've seen SF starship rules adapted for wet nay use (including a very interesting age of sail variant of Full Thrust)
    To the eternal irritation of this airplane (and Air-Force) supporter.... :)

It is said some USAF types will refer to ex-AF Roddenberry as a "traitor" for calling Kirk "Captain" instead of "Colonel".

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Enterprise was OBVIOUSLY not air force - there clearly wasn't a golf course in the design and no air force officer would ever be more than 5 minutes from one :D

Enterprise was OBVIOUSLY not air force - there clearly wasn't a golf course in the design and no air force officer would ever be more than 5 minutes from one :D
    I would think that the Air Force would be relieved that the Enterprise's command was based on the Navy instead of the Air Force. Who would want their commanding officers portrayed as a someone who "romances" creatures outside his own species, as well as the mechanical ones!

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Actually, I believe one of the "blueprints" published waybackwhen included something vaguely approximating a driving range.

And if you've seen. _Navy SEALs_: You know the Navy is just as interested in golf -- they just don't get the opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Coog View Post
    I would think that the Air Force would be relieved that the Enterprise's command was based on the Navy instead of the Air Force. Who would want their commanding officers portrayed as a someone who "romances" creatures outside his own species, as well as the mechanical ones!
    Well, you know, those navy types spend all that time stuck on ships with no companionship.... >:)

And there was the holodeck on the Enterprise. A round of golf could probably have been played there. As far as other recreation...Quark on one episode of Deep Space 9 was renting out a "holosuite" that provided "companionship.

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

The thought occurs: One could use the First Edition of _Star Fleet Battles_ -- the "stick and string" version from *way* back -- to sort out firing arcs; and use the WW2 chit-draw to handle how damage is inflicted....

Midshipman
    Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Karl

Actually, the WOW/WoG mechanics would suit Star Trek just fine. Modifying SoG would probably be better too ;)
    Karl