View Poll Results: Have you sailed on the open ocean?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! On a large sailing vessel

13 30.95%
  • Yes, but on a small craft or dinghy

10 23.81%
  • Well, it didn’t have sails...

6 14.29%
  • Sailing vessel but it was on a lake, river, or inlet.

9 21.43%
  • Hey, I was on a cruise ship. Does that count?

3 7.14%
  • Surf’s up! Surf board, paddle board, kayak.

0 0%
  • I waded into the water.

1 2.38%
  • I got my toes wet.

0 0%
  • Lubber.

0 0%
  • Lubber. But I did polish up the handles on the big fromtdoor!

0 0%

Thread: Have you actually been on the open ocean?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    They have done the same with the SS Great Britain Eric. There is a trickle of water flowing over the glass around the hull so that when you are above it looks as if she is floating and when you go below to view the outside of the lower hull you seem to be under water when you look up.
    Rob.
    She is on the list for my next trip across the pond! Also the HMS Trincomalee, more in our period!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    She is on the list for my next trip across the pond! Also the HMS Trincomalee, more in our period!
    Let me know when you're going and I'll stow away in your luggage! I've been a fan of I. K. Brunel since I was a kid.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have been involved on and off with the Great Britain ever since I was at college.
    It just so happened that the pub outside the campus where most of us gathered was run by a very nice chap who also happened to be a magisterate and could get us an extended licence whenever a 21st party or engagement etc came up. More important, he was a Bristolian and was raising money to bring the GB home from the Falklands. we all contributed to the funds although we really did not have a clue at that time what it was really all about.
    The first real interest I actually had was when they towed her up the cut to her old dry dock where she was built. As the years went by I watched as the renovation gradually took place. I even got a piece of her old deck when they replaced some of that and sold off sections fashioned into doorstops, cut to show not only the old square shanked nails but even some of the original caulking embeded in the doorstop.
    My last visit was two years ago with Mrs Bligh, and I would have been back this year but for this plague ravaging the world.
    Well maybe next year!

The most odd thing was that I ended up teaching the History of engineering to my students, and guess who waxed very large on the syllabus.

Last edited by Bligh; 04-03-2020 at 13:11.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.