Thread: My Fleets, updated 2019

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Default My Fleets, updated 2019

It has been a couple of years since Bligh started a thread to show off members fleets, so I thought it was time to maybe update here how our fleets have amassed since that time.
    So here are my fleets as they stand as of today.

Now before you start thinking I am completely mad, which I must say that thanks to the pills from Bligh , I am not completely.
    Please bare in mind I have been collecting since Sails was a kickstarter and also my father was RN so some ships are in his honour, plus a lot was needed for my Trafalgar project.
    Also , although a bit of hubris will be evident, the intention is to maybe stimulate a bit more interest as well as show what can be done with a small lick of paint and a bit of work.
    Most of my ships are now rigged, not fully as I like to see the ship not a mass of ropes and the rat lines are all Langton types. I do not particularly like the ones Keith has, let me stress there is nothing wrong with them just a personal preference for Langton ones.
    The pics show massed fleet as per review If anyone wants information as to what I have done to a particular ship or would like a close up view of a ship let me know and Ill add the references used or my interpretation as to why a certain model can be used.

So here we go, Fleets will sail past in review order, saaaaaailll past!

first my Spanish fleet

Reading from Right to left, row by row

Santa Ana,Principe de Asturias,Rayo, Santisima Trinidad, Argonauta (Temeraire), Heroe, Pluton, San Agustin, San Francisco de Asis, San Ildefonso, Bahama, San Juan Nepomuceno, San Justo, Argonauta (Montanes), Montanes, Monarca, Neptuno, San Leandro, Sirena, Ilfigena, Mahonesa, Diana, Proserpina.

French Fleet

Commerce de Marseille, Orient,Republique Francaise 1802, Montagne, Austerlitz 1808, Imperial,Commerce de Bordeaux,Redoutable, Le Berwick, Genereux, Aquilon,Le Swiftsure, Duguay - Trouin, Fougueux, America, Timoleon, Temeraire, Argonaute, Scipion, Pluton , Aigle, Mont Blanc, Heros, Achille, Intrepide, Eveille, Protee, Roland, Algeciras, Bucentaure, Neptune, Formidable, Guillaume Tell, Indomptable, Embuscade, La Concorde, L'Inconstant, Courageuse, Unite, Hermione, Le Succes, Junon, Carmagnole, Sybile, Proserpine, Dryade, La Helene, Gracieuse, Petit Annibal, Charmante, Iphegenie, Bertin, Alligator, Le Fortune

Lastly the RN

HMS Victory, HMS Royal Sovereign, HMS Britannia, HMS Royal George, HMS Queen Charlotte, HMS Hibernia, HMS Ville de Paris, HMS Dreadnought, HMS Temeraire, HMS Prince, HMS Neptune, HMS Spartiate, HMS Bellerophon, HMS Bellona, HMS Vanguard, HMS Defence, HMS Goliath, HMS Impetueux, HMS Defiance, HMS Berwick, HMS Audacious, HMS Aboukir, HMS Resolution, HMS Renown, HMS Superb, HMS Zealous, HMS Illustrious, HMS Belleisle, HMS Implacable, HMS Orion, HMS Bahama, HMS San Juan, HMS Argonaut, HMS Agamemnon, HMS Mars, HMS Raisonnable, HMS America, HMS Polyphemus, HMS Africa, HMS Malta, HMS Tonnant, HMS Achille, HMS Ajax, HMS Thunderer, HMS Prothee, HMS Revenge, HMS Swiftsure, HMS Colossus, HMS Concorde, HMS Juno, HMS Cleopatra, HMS Terpsichore, HMS Meleager, HMS Unite, HMS Iphigenia, HMS Castor, HMS Amazon, HMS Ambuscade, HMS Greyhound, HMS Sybille, HMS Amelia, HMS Shannon, HMS Orpheus, HMS Amphion, HMS Adamant, HMS Bristol, HMS Isis, HMS Leander, HMS Leopard, HMS Hamadryad, HMS Fairy, HMS Swan, HMS Alligator

For numbers

Spain 4 x 1st Rates, 14 x 3rd Rates and 5 x Frigates

France 6 x 1st Rates, 28 x 3rd Rates, 1 x East Indiaman, 17 x Frigates, 2 x Sloops

Britain 7 x 1st Rates, 4 x 2nd Rates, 37 x 3rd Rates, 22 x Frigates, 3 x Sloops

Last edited by Capn Duff; 02-07-2023 at 02:42.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good grief Chris, do you realize what a Pandora's box we have opened between us.
    I expect every member will now be itching to show off the ships in their Fleets for all to see.
    Well done Captain.
    The Prince Regent has advised me that he will personally review the Fleet at Spit-head on his birthday.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

What a huge fleet

I need to count mine...

Landsman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Andy

Wow thats a really big impressive fleet!!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, what do you think to a new poll for "Size of Fleets 2019" for comparison purposes?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Go for it Dobbs.
    It will make me get my Fleets out of mothballs. I only seem to be using my Solo campaign Squadron at the moment.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Anyone else care to show off their fleets ?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will probably do mine next week Chris, once we get the other side of Hammerhead.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Impressive fleets, Chris!
    I especially like that you have all of them rigged with ratlines.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Impressive fleets, Chris!
    I especially like that you have all of them rigged with ratlines.
    Ditto but the standing rigging is pretty impressive as well.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Thank you chaps, however still got three French frigates to finish off, only got the ratlines last weekend but will be completed shortly

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    It has been a couple of years since Bligh started a thread to show off members fleets, so I thought it was time to maybe update here how our fleets have amassed since that time.
    So here are my fleets as they stand as of today.

Now before you start thinking I am completely mad, which I must say that thanks to the pills from Bligh , I am not completely.
    Please bare in mind I have been collecting since Sails was a kickstarter and also my father was RN so some ships are in his honour, plus a lot was needed for my Trafalgar project.
    Also , although a bit of hubris will be evident, the intention is to maybe stimulate a bit more interest as well as show what can be done with a small lick of paint and a bit of work.
    Most of my ships are now rigged, not fully as I like to see the ship not a mass of ropes and the rat lines are all Langton types. I do not particularly like the ones Keith has, let me stress there is nothing wrong with them just a personal preference for Langton ones.
    The pics show massed fleet as per review If anyone wants information as to what I have done to a particular ship or would like a close up view of a ship let me know and Ill add the references used or my interpretation as to why a certain model can be used.

So here we go, Fleets will sail past in review order, saaaaaailll past!

first my Spanish fleet

Reading from Right to left, row by row

Santa Ana,Principe de Asturias,Rayo, Santisima Trinidad, Argonauta (Temeraire), Heroe, Pluton, San Agustin, San Francisco de Asis, San Ildefonso, Bahama, San Juan Nepomuceno, San Justo, Argonauta (Montanes), Montanes, Monarca, Neptuno, San Leandro, Sirena, Ilfigena, Mahonesa, Diana, Proserpina.

French Fleet

Commerce de Marseille, Orient,Republique Francaise 1802, Montagne, Austerlitz 1808, Imperial,Commerce de Bordeaux,Redoutable, Le Berwick, Genereux, Aquilon,Le Swiftsure, Duguay - Trouin, Fougueux, America, Timoleon, Temeraire, Argonaute, Scipion, Pluton , Aigle, Mont Blanc, Heros, Achille, Intrepide, Eveille, Protee, Roland, Algeciras, Bucentaure, NeptuneFormidable, Guillaume Tell, Indomptable, Embuscade, La Concorde, L'Inconstant, Courageuse, Unite, Hermione, Le Succes, Junon, Carmagnole, Sybile, Proserpine, Dryade, La Helene, Gracieuse, Petit Annibal, Charmante, Iphegenie, Bertin, Alligator, Le Fortune

Lastly the RN

HMS Victory, HMS Royal Sovereign, HMS Britannia, HMS Royal George, HMS Queen Charlotte, HMS Hibernia, HMS Ville de Paris, HMS Dreadnought, HMS Temeraire, HMS Prince, HMS Neptune, HMS Spartiate, HMS Bellerophon, HMS Bellona, HMS Vanguard, HMS Defence, HMS Goliath, HMS Impetueux, HMS Defiance, HMS Berwick, HMS Audacious, HMS Aboukir, HMS Resolution, HMS Renown, HMS Superb, HMS Zealous, HMS Illustrious, HMS Belleisle, HMS Implacable, HMS Orion, HMS Bahama, HMS San Juan, HMS Argonaut, HMS Agamemnon, HMS Mars, HMS Raisonnable, HMS America, HMS Polyphemus, HMS Africa, HMS Malta, HMS Tonnant, HMS Achille, HMS Ajax, HMS Thunderer, HMS Prothee, HMS Revenge, HMS Swiftsure, HMS Colossus, HMS Concorde, HMS Juno, HMS Cleopatra, HMS Terpsichore, HMS Meleager, HMS Unite, HMS Iphigenia, HMS Castor, HMS Amazon, HMS Ambuscade, HMS Greyhound, HMS Sybille, HMS Amelia, HMS Shannon, HMS Orpheus, HMS Amphion, HMS Adamant, HMS Bristol, HMS Isis, HMS Leander, HMS Leopard, HMS Hamadryad, HMS Fairy, HMS Swan, HMS Alligator

For numbers

Spain 4 x 1st Rates, 14 x 3rd Rates and 5 x Frigates

France 6 x 1st Rates, 28 x 3rd Rates, 1 x East Indiaman, 17 x Frigates, 2 x Sloops

Britain 7 x 1st Rates, 4 x 2nd Rates, 37 x 3rd Rates, 22 x Frigates, 3 x Sloops

Great Odin's Raven, what do you do with all of those?!? You must be playing some pretty big games!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Jason, most games
    I play involve around 4 to 6 ships per side, depending on players, most shows we use 4 per side.
    I did put on a Trafalgar game which had a model for every capital ship involved and this was the largest number. Pics can be seen on either the Trafalgar project thread or the 2018 report on the Doncaster con.
    I personally prefer using the larger ships and would like to play more using large numbers but unfortunately , space , players and a lack of a fleet set of rules means I am limited.
    But enjoy the game it is great fun,
    I think so anyway.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is a shot of Chris's Trafalgar which I was honoured to fight in.

and here is Chris with his Admiral's award.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Uwe

I am so happy that there are other crazy people like me...

Total madness.
    But I can understand you and I love it!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quite mad Uwe.
    I also have a large fleet for Trafalgar, but that is only a small part of Chris's collection.
    He may let you know the full extent of it when he sees this post.
    We are both barking mad.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

My collecion has 150 Ares ships in it all rigged and ready for action.
    Looking to add some more 64s for my next project battle which will be Quiberon Bay.
    Also looking into utilising some of the new Warlord games Black seas vessels to add to the fleet

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris,
    I had hoped you would spot this.
    Also it has reminded me to steer clear of Q Bay in my Battles section.Maybe you would like to run a series on it in the history bit. I'll also get a different scenario for my single game, unless Simon wants to run a Pirates in that slot next year.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Sweet Neptune's chest hair, that's a lot of ships!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

We just keep buying Jason. Don't want to go down with withdrawal symptoms now do we.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    We just keep buying Jason. Don't want to go down with withdrawal symptoms now do we.
    Rob.
    I don't have a model problem, you have a model problem! Now if you'll excuse me, I have some models to work on...
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Midshipman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Lt. William Bush

Quote Originally Posted by JackAubrey1805 View Post
    I am so happy that there are other crazy people like me...

Total madness.
    But I can understand you and I love it!

At times, there is only a fine line between insanity and genius, Mr. Aubrey, it is said.

Lt. Bush
    "Jeder Krieg, auch der siegreiche, ist ein Unglück für das eigene Volk, denn kein Landerwerb, keine Milliarden können Menschenleben ersetzen und die Trauer der Familien aufwiegen."
    Helmuth von Moltke d. Ä.