Thread: What's on your Workbench for February?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your Workbench for February?

I will start off this month with my How to on a Victorian Pre Dreadnought.
    Name:  image2jpg.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  41.4 KB

The kit.
    Name:  IMG_7220.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  114.9 KB

I start building the Bridge and upper foredeck.
    Name:  IMG_7221.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  116.8 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next job was opening up all the holes for fittings.

Name:  IMG_7222.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  129.4 KB

and trial testing the parts for fit and the easiest order for assembly.

Name:  IMG_7224.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  112.8 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Working on a digital model for a Sails storage case. Bligh, if you'd check your email you'd have already seen these...

Name:  <acronym title=SGN case 1 - mockup mini, defining base envelope.jpg Views: 577 Size: 94.4 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Starting with a mockup "mini" in Sketchup, based on Victory's dimensions but rather simplified. Also starting to define the socket for the base.

Name:  <acronym title=SGN case 2 - base claw roughly defined.jpg Views: 548 Size: 109.9 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    At this point the base socket is mostly defined--I need to check if Ocean bows project past the end of the base and adjust accordingly if so.

Name:  <acronym title=SGN case 3 - base claw and deck slot.jpg Views: 560 Size: 111.5 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Here we have the main case's base socket fully defined, and have started to build out the case by adding a space for the maneuver deck.

Name:  <acronym title=SGN case 4 - jib block in place, outlining float space.jpg Views: 528 Size: 114.7 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    We've added a spacer block under the jib, and are starting to rough out the "box" around the masts. Note that the masts will "free float" in this space, the entire ship is held in place by the pin joining it to the base.

Name:  <acronym title=SGN case 5 - building cell around ship.jpg Views: 642 Size: 117.1 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    At this stage we're starting to build out the "sail box" around the masts.

Name:  <acronym title=SGN case 6 - cell render complete.jpg Views: 563 Size: 114.2 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />
    Finished render of the preliminary concept. The "windowpane" that goes over the ship isn't rendered, nor the lip that locks the base's starboard side in place (attached to the window) or the outer framing. If I was going to make this a "travel size game" complete kit, I'd do it with one side holding two ships, and the other just a box for the rulebook, rulers and chits.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very interesting seeing how you build up your three D image DB.
    This sort of design work was just coming in when I retired, but it looks as if the design process has been refined a lot since my day. I will follow your design with interest.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Each wall section in that render is 1mm thick, with 1mm "air gaps" between the walls and the mini/base.

I'm toying with the idea of making each of these an "insert module" with an entire line of outer cases so if you had the entire collection racked up for display but wanted to pack down a travel-size game to take with you, you'd just pull two ship cells out of their cases and rack them into one side of a smaller case, slot a box with your rulebook, rulers and damage bags in the other, close and latch and you're ready to go.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now the undercoat.

Name:  IMG_7228.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  90.2 KB

Next the hull got a coat of black and whilst that was drying I did the funnels in Buff.

Name:  IMG_7229.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  127.3 KB

Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Starting to come together beautifully, Rob--not sure how accurate she is, but to my untrained eye looks very believable.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The deck is a bit too light now dry. It should be about half way between the colour it is and the Funnels.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

She's looking great! Which Victorian battleship is she?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am afraid that I am not at liberty to say at the moment Dobbs. All I can tell you is that it will be revealed in time.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now getting all the ancilliary parts painted.
    Name:  IMG_7236.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  122.8 KB

Gluing in the Stubs of the masts and the Ventilators.
    Much easier to place before the Funnels go in.

Name:  IMG_7231.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  130.4 KB

Name:  IMG_7237.jpg
Views: 1235
Size:  123.2 KB

Finally for today the Funnels, sea boats, and guns.
    Name:  IMG_7240.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  124.3 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The next job was to silver solder wire together to make the two detatchable topmasts.
    Name:  IMG_7245.jpg
Views: 971
Size:  86.9 KB

Here they are painted and ready with the searchlight platforms added.

Name:  IMG_7247.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  219.7 KB

Just the rigging and bunting to add now.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship completed with detachable upper masts for ease of storage.

Name:  IMG_7269.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  165.3 KB

Here she is at last all masted rigged and ship shape fashion.

Name:  IMG_7248.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  123.7 KB

Name:  IMG_7250.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  123.5 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A few shots of the ship in action.

Name:  IMG_7253.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  130.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7252.jpg
Views: 492
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  IMG_7257.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  150.5 KB

Name:  IMG_7259.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  176.2 KB

Name:  IMG_7260.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  201.6 KB

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

It's a beautiful little ship, Rob. Which Old Glory miniature is it? Is it still available?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I honestly can't remember Dobbs.
    I will see if I have the old packaging anywhere.
    It has also been slightly modified by me to fit my own needs.
    The Bridge and aft control position s have been slightly heightened and the masts modified to take the searchlights.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not the most impressive piece of work that I have included here but one which I fancy will appear in several forthcoming AARs.

Name:  IMG_7306.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  144.0 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The production of the Clacks gets underway.

Name:  IMG_7308.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  105.8 KB

Based and undercoated.

Name:  IMG_7309.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  106.4 KB

Painting underway.

Name:  IMG_7310.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  124.8 KB

Placed on its headland and just waiting to be fixed in place and shaded.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is a bit of background for the interested.

Name:  Brigade-Semaphore.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  62.3 KB

Semaphore towers by Brigade models in 6mm.

Name:  semaphore-letters.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  93.8 KB

Your basic signalling code.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the tower in real life in Surrey.

Name:  Chatley_Heath_Semaphore_Tower_-_geograph_org_uk_-_18673.jpg
Views: 3150
Size:  135.5 KB

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I just found this article on the tower.

Semaphore Stations.

Name:  Chatley_Heath_Semaphore_Tower_-_geograph_org_uk_-_18673.jpg
Views: 2570
Size:  135.5 KB

From the Late 18th Century Surrey formed part of a crucial communication link to London. Consisting of a line of buildings with odd looking structures built on the roofs, we look into one of Surrey’s more unusual buildings.

Origins of the Semaphore Station.

In 1796 the Admiralty authorised the construction of a line of communication stations developed in response to the levered semaphore signalling system developed by the French in 1792. The Shutter Telegraph Stations were little more than temporary hut structures with 20 ft vertical frames set upon the roofs. This contained a system of 6 shutters in two columns which could be moved to provide 64 permutations (Hunt 2017).
    The stations were built to provide a fast communication Link between the Admiralty to the Royal Dockyards in Portsmouth and the fleet. This system would be crucial during the French Revolutionary Wars and the following Napoleonic War. Two designs were produced for a visual semaphore system the first machine, by Reverend John Gamble, used five shutters and allowed 32 signals, with the second machine, developed by Reverend Lord George Murray, being of 6 shutters (Hunt 2017). After trials of both systems the Admiralty accepted Murray’s system and construction began.

Name:  Semaphore-Station.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  16.2 KB

Architectural Model by George Murray.

© National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, London, Admiralty Collection
    The Surrey sites formed the Portsmouth Line and were situated at Netley Heath and Hascombe). With the end of the Napoleonic War the stations were shut down by the Admiralty in 1816. Today the early stations no longer survive.

The New London to Portsmouth Line.

Name:  Artist__s_impression_Semaphore_House.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  123.5 KB

An artist’s impression of the semaphore station on Telegraph Hill in the process of sending a message. Image: Dudley Mallinson.

In 1815 an act of government was passed giving the Admiralty permission to buy land for a more permanent Semaphore Telegraph Line. Following the closure of the Shutter stations in 1816, designs were being accepted for the replacement of the Murray Shutter Stations by the Admiralty. The design chosen was by Rear Admiral Sir Home Riggs Popham. This was based on the French Chappe system but used a simpler two signalling arm system in place of three. An experimental line was built in 1818 from the Admiralty to Chatham, to prove if the new semaphore system would work.

With the success of the experimental line, construction began on the new London to Portsmouth Line, becoming operation in 1822. Following a similar route to the previous stations, a number of fortunately survive today. In Surrey these are situated at Chatley Heath (SHER 502), Pewley Hill (SHER 329), Bannicle Hill (SHER 3504), Coopers Hill (SHER 275) Poyle Hill (SHER 1751), Worplesden Glebe (SHER 1829) and Haste Hill (SHER 3531). The Line stayed in operation until the last signal on the 31st December 1847, following the introduction of the electronic telegraph making the semaphore stations redundant.

An example of the only complete tall tower station survives at Chatley Heath. In 1989 the tower underwent a complete restoration and includes a fully working signalling mechansim. Today the Surrey Wildlife Trust holds open days at the tower so you can explore this building with a unique history.

Name:  Cobham-Pointers-Road-Chatley-Heath-Semaphore-Tower-5f-signalling-shutters-25608-768x1024.jpg
Views: 834
Size:  106.7 KB

Chatley Heath Semaphore Tower signalling shutters Copyright Martin Higgins Surrey County Council

Further Reading.

Hunt B http://www.portsdown-tunnels.org.uk/ancient_sites/telegraph_p1.html Accessed 13/02/2017
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22909590

For more information please visit: http://www.surreywildlifetrust.org/e...day?instance=0
    [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Admin/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image003.jpg[/IMG]

Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Looks like just the kind of thing Moist and Adora Belle would get involved in.....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Strange to say I named the Folder on my computer for this "The Clacks." I must be going postal.
    Where are the Frog pills Bursar.

Ah! That's better.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 02-20-2019 at 14:02.

Nice project, comrades.

Rob, this RN Dreadnought is beautiful. Think, you can embed this one in a WGF mission.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Could well be Sven.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I see that I also have to thank you for Rep Sven.
    You are too kind.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Should have given out the secret of the ships identity before this, but now that Tripods are released, I can reveal that she is the Thunderchild.
    Rob.