Thread: An idea for an island

Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Default An idea for an island

I've got this idea for a square center piece of 'land' with each side the same length as one of the Ares 'coast' pieces so that it would be possible to add a 'coast' section to each side and therefor make a fairly large island with noticeably different terrain on each side. I guess some fairly thick card or even plastic sheet painted or colored to approximately match the Ares pieces would be the best option. What do you think, workable?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly is Steve.
    If you look at the large island I made you will see that I mounted it on one mm plasticard.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...t-Pedro-Island

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Certainly is Steve.
    If you look at the large island I made you will see that I mounted it on one mm plasticard.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...t-Pedro-Island

Rob.
    Rob, your island looks fantastic! I specially like the handmade stone fort, very talentous.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián.
    I also remember your Tropical Islands very fondly. It reminded me what I can do with all those Palm trees left over from the Battle of the Nile scenery.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Years ago I did a set of island. I add the link to watch them.
    https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....1200-or-1-1000

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Well, I just realised my idea has one major flaw. The Ares 'coast' pieces I imagined using only taper to zero AT ONE END the other end is always cut square to connect the next piece. I guess an overlap at the square cut end might work.

Name:  IMG_1218.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  67.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1219.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  65.1 KB

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

So, this is 040" thick evergreen with a 020" thick layer of heavy card glued to it, which will make it the same thickness as the Ares pieces. Once the epoxy has hardened I will attempt to match the sand color of the originals and add some trees etcName:  66437381-06DA-49D0-BFF6-BDECBA3425B1.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  111.7 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks fine to me Steve. You can contour your island wit whatever and even place the Ares forts in place of any side to vary the scenario.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

The other alternative would be to use my original idea but with two coast pieces 'back to back' as it were but that would be a pretty big islandName:  817B2FFF-16AB-454D-A631-C353484C2DBB.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  99.9 KB

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Steve

Unfortunately, all the fort pieces have cut offs at BOTH ends so that won't work without modifying them. Here' my first attempt at a center... I am no artist as you can see.Name:  29DE5E45-2942-43B2-9DA4-879B33CB454C.jpg
Views: 354
Size:  155.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ask yourself this Steve.
    Is it better than anything Ares can provide for your needs. If the answer is yes then it is a masterpiece.
    You have a workable system there for very little outlay.
    It is fine.
    Rob.