Thread: Workshop: How to create removable/turnable masts?

Threaded View

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Marco

Lightbulb How to

Good evening Gentlemen!

Just in time for the end of the year, I ventured into a long-planned project. The push to implement it came today by the post. I had bought 3 ships from overseas and all arrived with each one of the ship masts is broken.

Since I don't want to glue them and I miss it with Sails of Glory anyway that demasted ships just don't look demasted, I decided to change this. I had already bought the necessary material for this some time ago.

I used these things for modifying one ship:
    Bondic UV liquid plastic glue
    Reißkraft Turbo Glue
    Small pliers (I used a Leatherman)
    3 scalpels with different blades
    A cutting base
    some pieces of toilet paper
    Toothpick or cocktail skewer (wooden)
    3 cylindric Neodymium magnets; diameter=4mm/height=2mm with inner hole (diameter 2mm) *1
    3 cylindric Neodymium magnets; diameter=4mm/height=1mm *2

*1 https://www.ebay.de/itm/50-NEODYM-PO...72.m2749.l2649
    *2 https://www.ebay.de/itm/Kleine-Neody...72.m2749.l2649

Steps:
    1. First cut off all three masts
    2. Use the scalpels to flatten the point of glue and extend the area a little bit if necessary, so that the thin 1mm base magnets can be glued as straight as possible
    3. Clean and control the cut mast bases and remove old glue edges
    4. Now pair all needed neodymium magnets, each one on the top (with hole) and one with the thinner base. I used 2 pairs with the same polarity and one in the middle with counter polarity
    5. Check the polarity of the magnets, if you try to clue them on little ships, only clue one after the other, let the glue harden before you want to glue the next one.
    6. Check if the base is correctly positioned. Use a toothpick with the glue, it will be easier then
    7. If the base magnets magnetic attraction is too strong, then if necessary, hold down the base to be glued in place with a wooden toothpick until the glue has hardened
    8. Take now one neodymium magnet with the 2mm hole and put it on the toilet paper
    9. Press down the magnet with the toothpick and fill in the UV glue up to the top of the hole
    10. Take the mast and push it lightly to the ground
    11. Align it approximately in the right position, if needed use the other hand with the toothpick to to correct the position
    12. If position is ok use the UV hardener light for 2 to 3 seconds to fix the mast into the neodymium magnet
    13. because the short hardener time, it is easy to remove the toilet paper now.
    14. Check again the position of the Magnet to its mast. If needed use the pliers to to correct the position.
    15. Use the UV light as described in the accompanying instructions.
    16. Look at the bottom of the magnets hole (mast end) and use some glue to fill up the hole with something over
    17. Use again the UV lamp
    18. Now cut off the glue from the magnets bottom
    19. If the magnet bases are all set and glued, place the masts on the ship and use the pliers again to correct their position.
    20. Use some paint to remove the silver surface of the magnets

Now you can play and demast every ship in your fleet within the game. Don't use other magnets and use every time Magnets with the same diameter otherwise the poling will prevent centering. If you use stronger magnets then there will be a chance that you will break the masts. The used magnets are very well balanced, easy to remove but stable enough for fantastic gaming hours and transport. Removing or turning the mast is very easy. I have thinner and smaller magnets here but they are to weak. The big ships are very easy to modify, only the smaller ships will need a steady hand and a little more endurance (you have to cut a little bit more on the deck) but at the end they don't look bad! :)

Name:  20181231_124439.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  149.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images                             
    Last edited by Bligh; 01-16-2019 at 03:41. Reason: for home thread