Thread: Play by Email Options

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default Play by Email Options

Hello all I've had a quick look around at online options for playing SoG. Ideally I'm after a client that'll let me take a move in the evening, share the results, and apply the outcomes the following day. I'm wondering if anyone has an email friendly client up and running- so far I've found:

Vassal- No mod for SoG. Client will lend itself to email with save states on progress and the capacity to share said files, but it'll need to be built from scratch.
    Tabletopia- No mod for SoG. There are tools for building mods easily but you need to put your resources through a remote review process once you're done. This presents a significant risk on development- if anyone says 'no' to your content, you've done.
    Tabletop Simulator- There is a client and it looks great. Running a dedicated server for a game seems an optimal option for this client, but feels like a gross waste of resources for a game that will receive ~10 mins of attention per day at most. Running a game by sharing saved states might work, but it'll require an investment in the software ($25 US) and players will need to establish a method of communicating their actions (there isn't a command line to record all actions from what I can tell).

I guess I'm writing here to gauge interest and collate insights. Has anyone looked into this? Is there a Discord channel up and running that I've missed? Would people be interested in playing 'the slow way' via a client if I were to get something up and running? I'm motivated, ultimately, as I can't play as frequently as I'd like, and my neighbours don't seem to enjoy this game as much as I do!

Thanks- David

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I have not played Sails of Glory by e-mail but I have taken part in Wings of Glory by e-mail. There was no special electronic system. The Gamesmaster had the game set up on a table in his home. We e-mailed moves to him by a deadline twice a week. He made the moves, did the firing and e-mailed photographs back showing the results. Some of the results were, of course, kept secret.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have taken part in other war-games played by E-mail Dave but again like Naharaht's example they have been run by a Games Master, and always seemed to peter out before the end, so I prefer our own system here of Solo campaigning.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Aye it seems tricky to track people down. I'll have a closer look at the solo campaign

Ordinary Seaman
    Germany

Log Entries
    Name
    Marco

Hello folks

I know these features only from PC computer games like from HPS Simulations or Matrixgames. I played these Hex games often via eMail with a friend, thousands of kilometres away. I think to realize this option at SoG, will need a experienced programmer or a very short line of communication. :)

As example look at the "Naval Campaigns" section from HPS Simulations or at Youtube. Although played in a different era, it is still very interesting. Naval Board games is still a very special topic within the PC gaming section and in the Board games section, too.

HPS: https://www.hpssims.com/
    YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo8r4RNMbio

Regards
    Marco
    Last edited by MrMo; 11-18-2018 at 05:00.