Thread: Good day to one and all from Bristol UK

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Default Good day to one and all from Bristol UK

Hi to you all from sunny Bristol UK. Awaiting my game to arrive (eta next week yaaa !!), then will have to sit down and learn it . Please expect some questions. LOL.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-19-2018 at 12:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly welcome to the Anchorage on behalf of the Shipmates based here.
    You will find many knowledgeable folks ready to answer any of your questions about the game and the period in general. Remember that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask.
    May you sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Thank you sir.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You are welcome Pete. Just watch out for Grebo, he is the ship's cat.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome aboard from the Gloucestershire squadron up on the Sharpness Canal :)

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome to you Pete

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Pete, from here near Norwich.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

-Thank you Capn Duff and Naharaht.
    -Love the banter between discworld readers -:)
    "X-Clacks-Overhead" value="GNU Terry Pratchett"

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

A very warm welcome from the now rainy Sweden.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dasper View Post
    -Thank you Capn Duff and Naharaht.
    -Love the banter between discworld readers -:)
    Quick Pete assemble a cutting out party to disable Napoleon's Clacks along the coastline.

Bligh.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Default Back again

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Quick Pete assemble a cutting out party to disable Napoleon's Clacks along the coastline.

Bligh.
    Owing to those fetish French cheese eaters cutting down the clacks, I’ve not been live for ages. Just got a new password sent, and here I be. (arrgg Jim lad). This weekend, after nearly 2 years, I finally opened up my sails of glory and played the first ever game with no 3 son. Tab learning curve, but hope to move on up the rules this weekend.
    Its not a train set but a micro engineered precision detailed transport system.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Good to see you back Pete, any questions dont hesitate, someone will be able to help.
    Unfortunately due to the current lockdown we cant arrange a game, maybe one day soon

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you ever get stuck like that again Pete, just send me a message as a visitor to the site with the new password you require and I will sort you out the new password and then let you know it is active.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Chris.
    How are you doing this week?
    Will you spill the beans to Pete about Tim and the Frog pills or shall I?

Rob.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Default Yes Please

If you ever get stuck like that again Pete, just send me a message as a visitor to the site with the new password you require and I will sort you out the new password and then let you know it is active.
    Rob.
    Much thanks, been busy with my n gauge layout these past months

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    Good to see you back Pete, any questions dont hesitate, someone will be able to help.
    Unfortunately due to the current lockdown we cant arrange a game, maybe one day soon
    Much thanks, i know you offered many moons ago, but would like to take you up on the offer when we get the all clear. Stay safe.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Owing to those fetish French cheese eaters cutting down the clacks
    Well, welcome to you, Sir, from a fetish French cheese eater that would be honoured to share some of the best he has in stock with a good Southern coastal French wine for, I guess, these are two things you are lacking of in England.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Oh! touché Roméo.

Bligh.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dubourdieu View Post
    Well, welcome to you, Sir, from a fetish French cheese eater that would be honoured to share some of the best he has in stock with a good Southern coastal French wine for, I guess, these are two things you are lacking of in England.
    Thank you sir, but my wine cellar is overflowing with "Liberated" French wine, Brandy and cheese. I look forward to one day meeting you on the high seas, and the possibility that you might best my ship, and if so, you might then "Liberate" some barrels of John Smiths, Chedder cheese and good old Cornish pasties. Thank care sir, in these troubled times

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Oh! touché Roméo.

Bligh.

Thank you sir, but my wine cellar is overflowing with "Liberated" French wine, Brandy and cheese. I look forward to one day meeting you on the high seas, and the possibility that you might best my ship, and if so, you might then "Liberate" some barrels of John Smiths, Chedder cheese and good old Cornish pasties. Thank care sir, in these troubled times
    That would be my privilege, Monsieur.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drapeaux.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	49376
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

One small point Monsieur.
    You would be unlikly see that combination of flags in reality, because as you will know your version of the Tricolour was superseeded in 1794, whilst the Union in the canton of the Brithish flag did not have the St. Patrick's cross added until 1801.
    Bligh.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

One small point Monsieur.
    You would be unlikly see that combination of flags in reality, because as you will know your version of the Tricolour was superseeded in 1794, whilst the Union in the canton of the Brithish flag did not have the St. Patrick's cross added until 1801.
    Bligh.
    I knew our history master would point that weakness out but I found nothing but that available. Let's say that in a eureka moment, some British flagman has imagined this could happen so this picture doesn't disappear under the weight of anachronism!

Just one thing, I had read in an article that in fact the French revolutionary flag was still used till 1799 as a "land-ensign" (like a cohabitation with the tricolour used by the navy) while we indeed usually say that it is superseeded by the current tricolour in 1794 in any occasion. Never found any example of it though.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Dubourdieu View Post
    I knew our history master would point that weakness out but I found nothing but that available. Let's say that in a eureka moment, some British flagman has imagined this could happen so this picture doesn't disappear under the weight of anachronism!

Just one thing, I had read in an article that in fact the French revolutionary flag was still used till 1799 as a "land-ensign" (like a cohabitation with the tricolour used by the navy) while we indeed usually say that it is superseeded by the current tricolour in 1794 in any occasion. Never found any example of it though.
    Found that interesting Monsieur. found this page https://www.crwflags.com/Fotw/flags/fr_revol.html#pre I would also suspect that with it taking nearly 1 year to get to the outer colonies, no flag was thrown away, but used until it rotted. Same as the British union flag, there are many regimental paintings of units still flying their "old colours", as they had not received new ones.
    Last edited by Lord Dasper; 05-16-2020 at 08:14.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Found that interesting Monsieur. found this page https://www.crwflags.com/Fotw/flags/fr_revol.html#pre I would also suspect that with it taking nearly 1 year to get to the outer colonies, no flag was thrown away, but used until it rotted. Same as the British union flag, there are many regimental paintings of units still flying their "old colours", as they had not received new ones.
    Well, it definitely makes sense notably considering the irreducible travelling time and also the practical aspect as you mentioned the fact that nothing was automatically thrown away.