Had my first game with multiple ships, and what a blast it was.

The British fielded the 1st rate Hibernia and 3rd rate Defense, while the French were sailing the 1st rate Orient and 3rd rate Genereux.

The wind was low and westerly, and the two forces approached eachother in line from the north and south. The British commanded the weather gauge. As they approached, the British (myself) foolishly turned too hard and too late, positioning themselves terribly. At once the Orient unleashed a full raking broadside (first broadside rules) on the Defense, while the Genereux did the same to the Hibernia. Both ships took massive damage. The Defense sprouted 3 leaks, a broken rudder, and severe crew loss, while the Hibernia caught fire, lost its rudder, as well as two masts.

In the confusion the two British ships, looking to save themselves, ever so ironically collided at full force, causing massive damage to one another, and springing a leak on the now ablaze Hibernia.

As the Hibernia limped away to conduct repairs and gain a good position, the Defense was grappled by the Genereux. Before the boarding could occur though a well placed cannonball struck the Defense low in the hull, sending her to the deep.

The two french ships quickly turned to make chase on the Hibernia, who was demasted and slow limping away. Before much could occur in the pursuit though, the now rampant fire on the Hibernia struck its fatal blow, igniting the magazine. In a terrific roar the Hibernia exploded, sending her surviving sailors to their death.

While a total and massive defeat to myself as the British, this game played out almost cinematically, and was action packed.

My only complain is how the chits and actions of the advanced rules really drew out the game and took away from the action. Im not sure if dice, simplified grease pen mats, or combining standard and advanced rules could speed it up, and only more testing will tell....but what a blast!