Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default March AAR The Sacrifical Lamb.

Preamble.

Name:  Main-5.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  78.5 KB

Captain McBride wondered just why he was called into the Governor's Residency Madras. Firstly his ship HEIC Nottingham was undergoing a refit, and second he was about begin his leave after three years on the Indian Ocean station.
    He waited to find out his fate as officials came and went through the opulent waiting area.

Name:  DrawingHall.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  38.6 KB

Then his name was called.

As soon as the flunky had shepherded him into the Board room he realized that this was no ordinary meeting.

Name:  U10.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  119.4 KB

Present were not only the Governors and his advisor, but a Royal Naval Admiral, and two members of his Lords and Masters The HEIC Directors.

As soon as the double doors were closed behind him by the flunky the Governor opened the batting.

" Please do sit down Captain McBride, and help yourself to the port. I believe you know the gentlemen assembled here excepting Admiral Sir Dudley Pound and his Flag Lieutenant Silas Brass."
    As soon as the introductions had been properly made, the Governor got straight to business.

" I will now ask Admiral Pound to appraise you of the situation."

The Admiral rose to his feet.

"As the other gentlemen present are aware Captain the Royal Navy and the Honourable Company have a problem in common in the form of a French Frigate marauding along the South African coast. As you are aware, we are preparing to take the French strongholds in that area, and both our supplies and the HEIC Merchantmen are being systematically cut out by this very fast Frigate.

Name:  images2889JZB2.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  7.6 KB

All our attempts to catch the rogue are thwarted, because as soon as our ships show a topsail above the horizon he scuttles his prize and then shows us a clean pair of heels by making off to sea. Even Frigates lurking in coastal bays cannot make sail swiftly enough to catch him.

Name:  55c913dacbc40.jpg
Size:  51.2 KB
    I am aware that you are about to leave for England, but as the Captain with the most experience in these waters we asked you here to seek your advice on any ideas you may have about bringing monsieur to heel."
    David gave it some thought for a few minutes, and then answered.
    "Well gentlemen as I see it to complete the job I will need two Royal Naval Sloops, 200 Marines, six 36 lbr Carronades and a................."
    "Yes, yes Captain."
    Within an hour of discussion the plot was hatched to catch that damned elusive Frenchman.

Name:  imagesF4IH9VAL.jpg
Size:  5.3 KB

Bligh.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-17-2018 at 14:08.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.