Thread: Battle of the Chesapeake/Battle of the Virginia Capes a SYWC 2018

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default Battle of the Chesapeake/Battle of the Virginia Capes a SYWC 2018

The 2018 Seven Years War Association Convention included a 4 hour long Battle of the Chesapeake/Battle of the Virginia Capes; game and photos by Jeffrey Knudsen (Jeff is aka War Artisan; maker of fine 1/900 paper ships). His post on The Miniatures Page can be found here:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=477925

Photos from Flickr here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/war_ar...h/40632766104/
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 04-10-2018 at 08:43. Reason: typo
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Looks great. I like the floors tiles as sea mats!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Looks great. I like the floors tiles as sea mats!
    Saw your post on TMP. Jeff's put up a link to a tutorial on how to paint said floor tiles. Looks pretty nice. My only concern with these tiles is the static electricity build up? We use them for model railroad shows and they attract a fair amount of dust. The foam being sealed by paint probably cancels out a lot of that though?

http://www.warartisan.com/yahoo_site...l.81173449.pdf
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very interesting set of pictures Jim.
    Thanks for drawing attention to them.
    I expect Cptn Duff will also be interested with our Trafalgar scheduled for September.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It is possible to buy dark blue carpet tiles but the navy blue leatherette table covering material is probably better.

Has anyone tried shrinking the paper ships to 1/1000 scale to fit in with the Ares models?

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It is possible to buy dark blue carpet tiles but the navy blue leatherette table covering material is probably better.

Has anyone tried shrinking the paper ships to 1/1000 scale to fit in with the Ares models?
    I haven't purchased any ship files from Jeff, so I haven't tried. Depending on the file format he uses you might not be able to alter it?

Now that I think of it he may offer one free ship so you can see how they turn out. Ironically with all our Santisima Trinidad discussions in other threads I see from his website that he now offers the ST.
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Saw your post on TMP. Jeff's put up a link to a tutorial on how to paint said floor tiles. Looks pretty nice. My only concern with these tiles is the static electricity build up? We use them for model railroad shows and they attract a fair amount of dust. The foam being sealed by paint probably cancels out a lot of that though?

http://www.warartisan.com/yahoo_site...l.81173449.pdf
    Thanks Jim.

For large non SoG games I currently use a large canvas like cloth which tends to have nasty fold lines so the tiles may be a good portable solution. Currently I am using my SoG ships to demo games of "Kiss Me Hardy" rules by Too Fat Lardies, which is best with a large playing surface.

Also AFAIK the free ship file is a lake schooner at 1/300 scale. OTH a 74 kit is $5.00 so maybe worth it for experimentation? The 1/900 file should not require too much resizing.

Actually I am intrigued by the 2.5D semi flat models - in particular for the Anglo-Dutch Wars where you need lots of ships.

Edit: You can also get a 1/600 Anglo-Dutch Wars frigate kit for free.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Thanks Jim.

For large non SoG games I currently use a large canvas like cloth which tends to have nasty fold lines so the tiles may be a good portable solution. Currently I am using my SoG ships to demo games of "Kiss Me Hardy" rules by Too Fat Lardies, which is best with a large playing surface.

Also AFAIK the free ship file is a lake schooner at 1/300 scale. OTH a 74 kit is $5.00 so maybe worth it for experimentation? The 1/900 file should not require too much resizing.

Actually I am intrigued by the 2.5D semi flat models - in particular for the Anglo-Dutch Wars where you need lots of ships.

Edit: You can also get a 1/600 Anglo-Dutch Wars frigate kit for free.
    I did download the 64 gun free kit. The one I got is a pdf file and a very quick search on the web does indicate you can resize pdf files using Adobe Acrobat. Whether I can figure out how to do so remains up in the air.

I agree those 2.5D flat models look great and would be easy to produce in large numbers. Cheers!
    –English Proverb