Thread: What's on your workbench for April?

Hybrid View

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    I only picked up that magazine irregularly. At least we have your work here. Too bad others can't benefit from all of the work you and others have done in island building.
    Can't they see it here??????

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Can't they see it here??????
    They sure can, but we need to let them know about it.

David, are you going to Salute this Saturday? I've read somewhere that someone is bringing a 1/200 scale USS Essex for a Warlords Blood Red Skies event? This is something I'd love to see.

Correction; not USS Essex, USS Hornet?
    Last edited by Nightmoss; 04-13-2018 at 14:49. Reason: clarificaton?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    They sure can, but we need to let them know about it.
    I suspect the number of interested wargamers coming here and seeing Rob's excellent work is greater than would see it in a "glossy". None of my local coven of wargamers have maintained their glossy subscriptions. It seems rather pointless given the wealth of material tat is out there on the internet - in places just like this :)

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I suspect the number of interested wargamers coming here and seeing Rob's excellent work is greater than would see it in a "glossy". None of my local coven of wargamers have maintained their glossy subscriptions. It seems rather pointless given the wealth of material tat is out there on the internet - in places just like this :)
    True enough. I've dropped all my magazine subscriptions with the exception of my N Scale model railroad mag. It's beyond niche in what it covers, and while some of the material might be online, this pub brings it all together in one spot every two months.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

I do have a quick question for you that is related to this project. What are you using as the base for the San Luis fortress? It looks too thin to be the blue Styrofoam insulation. Is it some kind of tile? I'm seriously wanting to build something much flatter for Admiral Vernon's 1741 attack on Cartagena.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDog7 View Post
    I do have a quick question for you that is related to this project. What are you using as the base for the San Luis fortress? It looks too thin to be the blue Styrofoam insulation. Is it some kind of tile? I'm seriously wanting to build something much flatter for Admiral Vernon's 1741 attack on Cartagena.
    I quote from the earlier work on this model Richard.

"A new material for the base is used today. Foamed polystyrene called Palram.
    It is less thick than my styrene foam and gives much lower cliffs as I want this fort nearly at sea level. For the hills in the background the old team of Plasticard and polystyrene will be used as per normal.

Palram is also great for building constructs and can be heat bent."

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.