Thread: Santissima Trinidad stats

Hybrid View

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Peter

Ahoy folks,

Apparently threadomancy is a thing. What is dead may never die!

I was bored out of my mind and took it upon myself to cobble together some ship cards for the Santisima Trinidad. I focused on two variants, her 1769 loadout and her 1805 loadout when she was literally armed to the teeth.

The best part of this endeavor is I didn't search for this thread until after the fact. I'm happy to say my results offer a decidedly different perspective from what has been posted here!

The easiest variant to create was the Santisima of 1769. She is virtually identical to the most of the Meregildos in terms of load-out, but has 4 more 8 lb'ers for a total of 116 guns. These are likely quarterdeck guns so I gave her 2 extra points in firepower to her stern partial-broadsides further down the chart. As an added bonus I set her crew musketry in line with the Santa Ana. In total I figured maybe she would be worth around 193 to 195 points?

Name:  SGNXXX-ShipLog-Santisima Trinidad 1769 123 PTS.jpg
Views: 326
Size:  99.9 KB

The 1805 variant was quite time consuming and a lot of fun to figure out. Initially I was very tempted to give her the best full broadside rating in the game, a perfect 10. What could be more fun? Except I thought that 10s or even 9s would detract from the Santa Ana, the defacto best metal thrower in the game with the historical evidence to back it up. The problem is despite her fearsome armament the Santisima in her best configuration could not throw more metal than the Santa Ana in her prime. The best broadside belongs to the Santa Ana which, depending on the source, tips the scales at 1,631 lbs in her 1805 configuration. Second best is the Santisima's 1805 config with 1,588 lbs and the Hibernia coming in third at 1,476 lbs. What to do?

Since I couldn't justify giving the Santisima a full broadside value greater than the Santa Ana's first box I opted to put her best full broadside on par with the Hibernia and boosted her stern partial-broadsides throughout the chart to reflect the outrageous number of guns on her '4th deck' and forecastle/quarterdecks. So how else to differentiate the Santisima from the competition? Strangely enough the (somewhat underpowered) Orient's stats offered some guidance, her full broadsides do not degrade until the first four full boxes are filled! I applied that principle to the Santisima and made her a dangerous beast by extending her power further down the chart. With 140 guns, a massive hull and a large crew will allow the Santisima to remain viable for longer.

The Santisima's total firepower (the sum of all boxes) is 150 pts, 6 points better than the Santa Ana at 144 and 7 points better than the Hibernia. As with the 1769 variant I copied the Santa Ana's musketry values and added 1 extra point. I feel she should be worth 215 to 220 points. I am somewhat concerned about balance and am tempted to downgrade the second '8' and/or the last '6' full broadsides in her chart by 1 point, and perhaps boost the stem partial-broadside of her first box by 1. Opinions?

Name:  SGNXXX-ShipLog-Santisima Trinidad 1805 TRIAL 2 150 PTS.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  100.5 KB
    Last edited by Spino; 10-21-2020 at 13:01. Reason: Attachment fairy struck again! Corrected text to reflect imperial pounds.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Wrong Peter.

However, it is a very interesting bit of research, and may well draw comments from some other Necromancers.
    Rob.

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also just noticed that the attatchment Fairy had struck again.
    Rob.

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Wrong Peter.

However, it is a very interesting bit of research, and may well draw comments from some other Necromancers.
    Rob.

Lol! Yes, sorry about that. I know some forums have policies that discourage members posting the umpteenth iteration of a popular topic, so I thought it best to add to an existing discussion.

Also just noticed that the attachment Fairy had struck again.
    Rob.
    Fixed!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Spino View Post
    Lol! Yes, sorry about that. I know some forums have policies that discourage members posting the umpteenth iteration of a popular topic, so I thought it best to add to an existing discussion.

Fixed!
    I don't mind ressurection spells unless the thread is really dead. Ie. Something has superceed the need for it or it had died a natural death like the one on sailing jokes which had just got too far from the original intention. Most others bring things to the attention of new members who had missed out, or somtimes serve as a timely reminder of a useful bit of info, so don't hesitate to revisit old threads, but do expect the ability card from time to time. As for the attatchment Fairy, we have never caught her, but she just unexpectedly crops up from time to time with no real explaination.
    Rob.