Thread: Santissima Trinidad stats

Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Richard

As with Jim (Nightmoss), I am not a member of the stats committee but I have been following this thread with interest.

I took a look at the armament reported for Santissima Trinidad and Santa Ana from two Spanish sources that I pulled off Capn Duff's 2017 thread on the San Ildefonso and then compared them with the armament reported above from Peter Goodwin's book (I just purchased a copy on Ebay Saturday, but won't receive it for a couple of weeks). The Spanish sources show somewhat different armament from Goodwin and I've tabulated the stats in the attached file. If you compute the total firepower (number of guns times weight of shot per caliber of gun) of both ships, they are essentially dead even, so the ship mat should be pretty close. The main difference between the two ships is the larger number and caliber of howitzers/obuses carried by Santa Ana in place of the 8-pounders on her upper deck. The main issue here is the actual performance of the howitzers in action and did Santa Ana really have the same effect with her broadsides as Santissima Trinidad? Note that the broadside weight shown is merely dividing the total firepower by 2, ignoring any bow and stern chasers.

The spreadsheet is a work in progress and I'm including the other Spanish ships in SOG just to get a handle on their overall firepower in the game for my own satisfaction. I plan to finish it and clean it up once I receive Goodwin's book. I've marked the Goodwin stats in red where I need to complete research on the remaining ships (from all 3 sources). Please ignore all the stats for the Spanish 3rd rates at this point in time. Comments on the spreadsheet are appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SeaDog7; 04-09-2018 at 19:05.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDog7 View Post
    As with Jim (Nightmoss), I am not a member of the stats committee but I have been following this thread with interest.

I took a look at the armament reported for Santissima Trinidad and Santa Ana from two Spanish sources that I pulled off Capn Duff's 2017 thread on the San Ildefonso and then compared them with the armament reported above from Peter Goodwin's book (I just purchased a copy on Ebay Saturday, but won't receive it for a couple of weeks). The Spanish sources show somewhat different armament from Goodwin and I've tabulated the stats in the attached file. If you compute the total firepower (number of guns times weight of shot per caliber of gun) of both ships, they are essentially dead even, so the ship mat should be pretty close. The main difference between the two ships is the larger number and caliber of howitzers/obuses carried by Santa Ana in place of the 8-pounders on her upper deck. The main issue here is the actual performance of the howitzers in action and did Santa Ana really have the same effect with her broadsides as Santissima Trinidad? Note that the broadside weight shown is merely dividing the total firepower by 2, ignoring any bow and stern chasers.

The spreadsheet is a work in progress and I'm including the other Spanish ships in SOG just to get a handle on their overall firepower in the game for my own satisfaction. I plan to finish it and clean it up once I receive Goodwin's book. I've marked the Goodwin stats in red where I need to complete research on the remaining ships (from all 3 sources). Please ignore all the stats for the Spanish 3rd rates at this point in time. Comments on the spreadsheet are appreciated.
    One of the main problems is that the 8pounders didn't really have enough power for fighting ships of the line. Even 12 pounders were of questionable use. The light guns made her less effective.