Hybrid View

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I find that it is very common to over estimate how good the Santissima actually was.

Basically she was an experiment. The Spanish took one of their “standard” first rates and rebuilt her to have a forth gun deck. If this had been something very good they would have done it with more of their first rates, but it was basically a failure you couldn’t admit. She had no real advantage to the French first rates in any way. Weaker armament. Top heavy. Much worse to sail. I seriously doubt that she would be able to take more damage than a ship actually constructed to be of that size from the beginning. Due to har being a symbol she couldn’t be changed.

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to continue the myth and give people what they expect when talking about the the ship with the MOST guns in the wars, or to try to go realistically. I’m not sure if the Constitution got a realistic set of stats, but it reflected pretty well what people expect.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Chris has only made Trinidad slightly more powerful than the Santa Ana for the first couple of boxes so I don't find it much of a problem. What do the rest of the stats committee think?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    I find that it is very common to over estimate how good the Santissima actually was.

Basically she was an experiment. The Spanish took one of their “standard” first rates and rebuilt her to have a forth gun deck. If this had been something very good they would have done it with more of their first rates, but it was basically a failure you couldn’t admit. She had no real advantage to the French first rates in any way. Weaker armament. Top heavy. Much worse to sail. I seriously doubt that she would be able to take more damage than a ship actually constructed to be of that size from the beginning. Due to har being a symbol she couldn’t be changed.

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to continue the myth and give people what they expect when talking about the the ship with the MOST guns in the wars, or to try to go realistically. I’m not sure if the Constitution got a realistic set of stats, but it reflected pretty well what people expect.
    I'm with Jonas on this. My only concession is that I gave here the extra box of hull damage, because historically she always seemed to take a beating, but keep on going. I think if it weren't for the storm after Trafalgar, she would have survived to be a prize. However, I've never read any accounts of her laying waste with her 140! guns.