Thread: First Game.... I'm hooked

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Josh

Default First Game.... I'm hooked

(This was the first game of SoG played by myself and a friend. He chose British and I French. I set up on Table SOUTH, he on NORTH. Random wind direction was NNW. Basic rules were used)

As day broke, the Aquilon and Courageuse saw sails on the horizon. Course to intercept was set, and lookouts reported that the ships we spied had changed course as well. The weather gauge was in our favor and we closed in and identified the HMS Vanguard and the HMS Meleager. As the British struggled against the wind, we continued to move in in formation.

The British broke formation, and that was our time to stike. The Courageus and Aquilon verred to starbord cutting off the HMS Meleager and preparing to open fire.

The HMS Meleager and the Courageuse exchanged broadsides. On the British ship, wood splintered and hell broke loose while cannon balls seemed to bounce off the Courageuse with no ill effect. Both ships continued to manouver, reload and fire while the Aquilon moved into the fray. Shots were fired, smoke filled the air and the HMS Vanguard continued to struggle against the wind.
    The HMS Meleager continued to fight valiantly, her guns aiming high and exacting a terrible toll upon the crews of the Aquilon and the Courageuse. However, she was simply outclassed and inable to withstand the combined fire of the French.

With a resounding crack, the HMS Meleager went to the deep. The French, having taken little hull damage but having lost much of their crews, now turned their attention to the HMS Vanguard.

The French manouvered and put the HMS Vanguard in a deadly crossfire and poured volley after volley into their foe, smashing their foe to bits. Vanguard returned fire slaying crew with every shot but doing little damage to the hulls of the French. In the final exchange of fire, the British ship was sundered and sent to the deep. The Courageuse and the Aquilon limped home with what few men were still able to sail.

(Both British ships were destroyed. Both French ships saw little hull damage, but were reduced to a single crew box on their logs. Had we used standard or advanced rules, crew attrition would have proved crippling.
    In short, great introduction, we had a great time and have found a new love in SoG).

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very snappy action Josh.
    Clear concise and with good pictures well illustrated.
    What a bloody conclusion.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the good A.A.R., Josh. I am glad to hear that you are enjoying playing Sails of Glory.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A belated, my apologies, well done on the aar and glad you have enjoyed the game.
    I look forward to reading more

Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Excellent opening salvo Josh.