Thread: WW2 Naval War-Game recommendations?

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Default WW2 Naval War-Game recommendations?

Hello friends,

Being new to Naval wargaming I thought I would ask you all this question! Are there any WW2 Naval Wargames with a similar feel to Sails of Glory? Nothing too complicated! Haha. But one that also uses ship Miniatures like Sails?

I thought it might be fun to put the Nazi boats up against the Americans and the Brits! Any suggestions?

Thank you!

-Chuck

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The best person to ask is David Manley because he invents games.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

In the past, I really enjoyed ALNAVCO for WWII naval wargaming -- nice system and models come either painted or unpainted depending on your tastes (I haven't played it in many years however). To my surprise they are still in business:
    http://www.alnavco.com/

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Thank you David and Bill for the recommendations! I took the plunge and ordered Axis and Allies: War at Sea, the New Rules version as well as the Condition Zebra booster pack. I’ll be able to add these ships to some of my Wings of Glory battles as well! And it should be a fun game on its own too.

Name:  504B53C0-B2BB-41A7-985F-79B54ABDC724.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  125.4 KB

Cheers!

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

WAS *was* a good game while it lasted... the problem is ferreting out some of the important and hard-to-get pieces.

Check out AAminis.myfastforum.org too--I used to Mod over there, and once upon a time was in the Top Ten biggest collections worldwide. Still have 'em all in cases, awaiting the call to do battle once again when I finally get my classroom...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

For WW1/WW2 I guess it depends on what level you want to play. I use a wide variety of rules across many levels. So for fleet actions I tend to use General Quarters, for smaller actions when i have a bit more time and I want more detail then I use a derivative of the old Skytrex WW2 Naval Rules from the 1980s. For similar level games that are faster and suited to nwbie players then Mongoose Publishing's "Victory at Sea" (WW2) or "Age of Dreadnoughts" (WW1) - both of which I had a hand in writing. And then for coastal forces games I use my "Action Stations" CF rules which have been on the streets over 20 years now.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

I wanted to thank you all again for the kind advice. David, Diamondback, Bill, the other David! Haha

I am going to end up ordering all your suggestions over the summer. Probably going to start with A&A War at Sea and Victory at Sea. Should be a fun summer of Sea Fun with my kids!

Thank you all again. Any other game recommendations are welcome!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Mike

For the level of playability you describe I HIGHLY recommend picking up Victory at Sea and the Expansion by Mongoose Publishing. Very Very playable and easy to pick up. Not as nit-picky as General Quarters III or Seekrieg. It's my Go-To system.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I had a hand in writing those so I wholeheartedly endorse your recommendation :)

Master & Commander
    UK

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Neil

And good ones for the Pacific theatre (which may include land actions)?