Thread: Greetings from Arkansas, USA! (Yes, we’re landlocked!)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Default Greetings from Arkansas, USA! (Yes, we’re landlocked!)

Greetings fellow sailors!

I recently joined up over at the excellent Wings of Glory Aerodrome Forum and have been having a ball over there. And I keep reading about Sails of Glory. So I took the plunge and just ordered the Sails of Glory Napoleonic Starter Board Game. I’m very excited. I can’t wait to play after reading all the positive reviews over at Wings of Glory.

My name is Chuck, I live in Northeast Arkansas (45 minutes from Memphis TN) and am currently a Seminary Student studying to be a Pastor. My family are the best and we do a lot of tabletop gaming together for fun.

Sails of Glory looks like another game I’ll be playing with my kids! They constantly whip me in Wings of Glory! Ha! Thank you all again for having me here. I have a million questions but I’m a pro and know reading through the various threads is my best bet to aquire the knowledge I seek! I really look forward to buying more ships!

Okay we’re gonna watch MASTER AND COMMANDER and I’m shopping for more ship miniatures to buy! I sincerely hope there are Pirate ships out there!

Thank you again for having me!

-Chuck

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Chuck, just answered you on the Wings forum, any questions just ask, someone will have an answer, all the best from Bristol UK.
    Ensign Patch has some Pirate conversions, Ill try and post a few pics this coming weekend of some action at Beachead last Saturday

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage Chuck!

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Chuck, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. It is good that you found your way here from the Aerodrome.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can now formally welcome you to the Anchorage Chuck on behalf of all the sailors berthed here.
    As Cpt. Duff says you can't ask the wrong question here.Only ask and it will be answered in one form or another.
    May you sail with a fair wind and may all your adversaries be willing.
    P.S. Don#t play against women, children or Ensign Patch. They always win.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Thank you all for the warm welcome. The past couple of days I’ve read so many interesting threads. The talent here of the members is incredible. I look forward to meeting some of you in the months to come!

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

I just thought I would ask, do you all know of anyone else in the Arkansas area on the Forum? I would love to get a monthly game together with some folks near me!

Thanks! —Chuck

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There are actually only three of you on the books Chuck.

ArkansasChuck 02-21-2018 55 Today 16:46
    kduke42 04-26-2013 6 03-31-2014 01:07
    razorbacjac 11-12-2018 0 01-16-2019 04:37

The info is joining date, number of posts, and last visit to the Anchorage so it looks as if only you and razorbaciac are current.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bart

Hey Chuck! I live in the Jackson, MS area. Not really *that* close (4 hrs) but if you ever find yourself passing through and want to get in a game you can message me. Just note I keep pretty busy so probably need a couple days notice at least.

But I have Sails of Glory, Wings of Glory (WWI and WW2) and the BSG game (and X-Wing too if you're in to that). Yeah... I've spent a small fortune on miniatures over the last 10 years or so. I don't get to play much so you'd have to go easy on me as far as remembering rules! ;)

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Hello friends,

I had been gone a while and finally had time to get back into gaming. Just thought I would send up a warm HELLO to everyone. Good to be back! It was quite a crazy year with the Pandemic here in the USA. I primary work with the homeless so this was literally the first month I have had free time..... whew!

Any new ship releases in the past year that I missed?

Sincerely,

~Chuck

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Sorry to say that nothing has happened at Ares in the Sails of Glory line. We are quite used to it and get by anyway.

The biggest event I would say has been 3D-print models. Quite a few here seems to have jumped on that wagon, myself included.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear from you Chuck. As Jonas says these printed ships have done for the Anchorage what Shapeways did on the Drome. If you look in the What's on your Workbench threads for April and May you will find a lot about the new prints.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Thank you both for the updates. Mind if I ask two quick questions?

1.) Whe are the preferred printers for our ships? I don’t have a 3D printer so I will have to go shopping! Any recommendations?

2.) So, my hands shake. Pretty badly. It means I simply can’t paint miniatures at all. Is there anyone in the USA that takes commission for painting ships? I’d like to start by getting two black-ish Pirate Ships painted so the kids and I can have some simple Pirate VS everyone else battles.

Any suggestions!

Thanks!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Chuck.
    Vol has done a bit about his printer here.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....light=printers

I'm also sure there was a discussion on the various types, but can't put my finger on it at present.
    Rob.