Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default My Chase Rules - and an AAR

Name:  20171220_123130.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  88.1 KB
    Just after the start of the Forenoon watch (roll 8), His Majesty’s 74, Outrageous spies a ship 5-8 miles distant (roll 8 on Spotting Range – Hull Up, 7 on Information), possibly a warship, and apparently unaware of the frigate. Captain Ullman gives the command to intercept. Play proceeds with the range closing by rank, but no appreciable time passing until either ship chooses to flee, or play moves to the tactical board.

When approximately a mile away, the Chase, now identified as a 40 gun frigate (roll 9 on Information - +2 for range), alters course toward Outrageous and closes (roll 6 on Spotting Range, 6 on Information).
    Name:  20171220_123230.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  89.5 KB
    A few minutes later and half a mile away, it becomes apparent (Outrageous – 10 +3 on Information) that the Frenchman has identified his opponent and feels outgunned (French – 11 +3 on Information). She quickly wears and turns to flee. Play now begins using the chase time scale. Firing before movement, then movement and the passing of half a full Watch. Over the next two hours Outrageous’ crew carefully lays and fires the bow chasers. The results are unimpressive.
    O – 3, 2, 1 +sail, crew, which converts to 1, 0, 0 +sail, ½ crew
    Name:  20171220_123435.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  85.4 KB
    The Frenchman is not passive and spends the time returning fire with his stern chasers. A lucky hit throws splinters into Outrageous’ waist, sending a few unlucky souls to the orlop deck.
    F – 2, 0, crew, which converts to 0, 0, ½ crew

Chase – O – roll 1, F – roll 4, O subtracts -1 for Burden 5 chasing, F adds +2 for Burden 4 fleeing.

By midway through the forenoon watch, the gunplay hasn’t been impressive, but it is apparent that Outrageous has gained a little. The Frenchman is now moved 1 rank closer on the Short Tactical range. Information and firing is resolved for the next turn, but since both ships already know as much as they can about each other at this range, Information does not need to be rolled.

O – 4 and a leak, 2, 2 and crew, 1 and crew, a crew, and 0, which converts to 2 and a leak, 1½ crew.

F – 2, 2 and crew, a crew, 0, which converts to 1 crew.

Chase – O – roll 3, F – roll 4, O subtracts -1 for Burden 5 chasing, F adds +2 for Burden 4 fleeing

By the start of the Afternoon Watch, the Frenchman has gained back what he earlier had lost.

O – 2 and a crew, 2, 2, 2, 1 and crew, converting to ½ a crew.

F – 4, 3, 0, converting to 2, 1.

Chase – O – roll 5, F – roll 4, O subtracts -1 for Burden 5 chasing, F adds +2 for Burden 4 fleeing.

By 4 bells in the Afternoon Watch, Outrageous has gotten her nose bloodied, with little to show for it, and the French frigate is showing what her superior sailing qualities can do. Captain Ullman, aware that it’s just a question of time until the frigate outruns Outrageous, decides to use the 74 for what she’s best, and spends the next half-watch yawing to present her broadside (2 damage draws, but an additional 3 is added to the fleeing die roll).

O – 3 and a fire, 3, 2 and rudder, 2 and rudder, 0, 0, 0, 0, converted – 1 and fire, 1, and two rudder hits.

F – 0, 0.

Chase – O – roll 5, F – roll 2, O subtracts -1 for Burden 5 chasing, adds +3 for firing main broadside, F adds +2 for Burden 4 fleeing, subtracts -3 for two rudder hits and a fire hit.

The First Dog Watch starts with the Frenchman looking ragged, but still pulling away, now at the extreme limits of Long Tactical range. The Frenchman has begun putting her water over the side ( a +1 for fleeing). Outrageous continues to yaw, as it is probably the last chance to catch the faster Frenchman.
    Name:  20171220_133038.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  75.6 KB
    O – 4 and mast, 4, 2 and rudder, 1 and sail, 1 and crew, 1, 0, 0, converted, 2 and mast, 2, rudder, sail, ½ crew.

F – 0, 0.

Chase – O – roll 1, F – roll 6, O subtracts -1 for Burden 5 chasing, adds +3 for firing main broadside, F adds +2 for Burden 4 fleeing, +1 for pumping the water over the side, and subtracts -2 for the rudder hit and mast hit.

As the Last Dog Watch begins, the French frigate is hull up. She’s been knocked about badly. Her speed is diminished, but not enough for Outrageous to overtake her. She is no longer in gun range, but just in case things go poorly for the Frenchman, Outrageous continues pursuit…
    Name:  20171220_152324.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-20-2017 at 16:48.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rules to come soon...

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Chase Rules - Anchorage.pdf

The Chase Rules, slightly modified since I wrote the AAR. I am my own playtester.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Ahh it’s a lonely affair in the British Royal Navy. Maybe I should put in for a transfer to the 100 gunners ya know. I e’rd they stay in port mostly, rotten away while the captain lives ashore with his darlings a plenty in every port from here to Spithead.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rule Note:

A ship jettisoning its water is a strategic defeat, without the loss of the vessel, as the ship has to re-water before it can continue its mission.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 12-20-2017 at 16:52.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Ahh it’s a lonely affair in the British Royal Navy. Maybe I should put in for a transfer to the 100 gunners ya know. I e’rd they stay in port mostly, rotten away while the captain lives ashore with his darlings a plenty in every port from here to Spithead.
    The 100 gunners, maybe, but the 74's are the backbone of the fleet, and y'll learn that sailin' with C'pn Ullman on the Outrageous!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Thanks for the rules. I learned a few new terms such as hull down/up and cable lengths

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

<stares off into the distance, the rise and fall rhythm of the ship’s bow completely going unnoticed>

After a long pause followed by the sound of spit, the tired sailor resumes scrubbing the deck.

The scrubbing sound suddenly ends and the sailor speaks, “ Aye like ye thoughts you shared on conducting the chase.”

<missing teeth make their absence known as a brisk smile appears>

“I may have a rules change I mean to propose to the captain, regarding your rules and all. Here’s how I see it, if one of the ships is flying the French colors, then that ship makes all haste in hanging every piece of canvas and setting a bearing to the nearest soon to be blockaded port.”

A sudden loud voice from amidship exclaims, “back to work, the both of ye or you’ll be next up for underwater hull inspection.”

The sounds of work suddenly resumes as both sailors return to their work, their bloody hands moving in a practiced pattern; their thoughts though on other duties, on rule making and the like.

The sound of a bell rings as the watch above looks down with impacience as their relief sleepily stumbles up the rat lines.
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-20-2017 at 23:37.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What ho Aaron.
    You mean yon lubber was not triced up to the gratings for spitting on the deck!
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Like the cut of your jib Dobbs. I will certainly be giving those sheets an airing in due course. How's yer night vision matey?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

night vision? What manner of devils tricks is this? Using low light goggles or infrared to prey upon the unsuspecting.

Maybe a lunar cycle to vary the night range? Aww but isn’t this is a beer and pretzels game? A reason to gather and sample some brew? I must refrain myself from adding too much complexity.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have the very answer there my boy. A night glass is just what we need.
    First drink your tot then look through the bottom of the glass and the light at night will be magnified.
    Down side is that the three ships you will now be seeing where you had one before will perforce be upside down.
    Never mind I will endevour to give it a try.
    Here goes!
    Bligh.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  199.9 KB

Funny I just read about night telescopes in the book you recommended.

(it is upside down)
    Last edited by Aaron; 12-21-2017 at 20:31.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good one Aaron.
    Best laugh of the day so far.
    Rob.