Thread: First time re-painting advice

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Chuck

Default First time re-painting advice

Hello friends,

I ordered a couple of the Sails of Glory ships as extras, so I could re-paint and customize them. I want to make one a Skull and Crossbones Pirate Ship for my kids. (Who will be thrilled!). And I thought it would be fun to practice my painting skills on those ships.

Amazon had some inexpensive tweezers, paint brushes, and modeling tools on sale so I snagged those. But I still don’t know which paints are the best for beginners for the Sails of Glory. There are about 700 choices! Haha. I was going to ask some advice. Is there a preferred brand for Naval painting?

Here is what I have ordered so far:

Name:  B57B2536-6884-4F06-9D7F-AEE859BD6F4F.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  135.1 KB

Name:  5EF5B4E6-91C1-4F2E-A89B-5437901B9169.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  87.5 KB

Name:  D1FB15E0-D1D3-4D56-BBE7-177BEC0466E7.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  119.7 KB

Any other FIRST TIME SHIP CUSTOMIZING advice is welcome!

Respectfully,

-Chuck

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may get as many answers as there are paints to this one Chuck. Personally I always use Foundry paints because they run a three colour scheme of three bottles light/ standard/ dark in most colours which helps with highlighting and shade no end. They also contain more pigment than the other famous Nottinghamshire based brand.

Name:  IMG_0704.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  48.7 KB

Name:  images.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  8.5 KB

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.