Thread: Struck sails and needing to reverse....

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Default Struck sails and needing to reverse....

Had a situation the other day where my other half was heading for a collision into an island, she managed to stop in time and was at anchor , however she could move no further forward or left or right otherwise she would have hit the island.

I couldn't for the life of find what the rules had to offer in this situation,

Is there a feature for "reverse"?
    Is the ship just stuck there unable to do anything else?

What we're the options here, maybe I'm just missing something.

Thanks in advance.

IRL a ship could back sails to reverse similar to tacking when a ship makes sternway (second arrow on the red cards in SoG). A dangerous maneuver in high winds though. There were several other methods a ship could maneuver such as kedging - using the anchor and boats to move the head around and away from the shallows, etc. I don't think there is anything specifically in the rules that would get you out of this situation though.

You could add house rules to allow a ship to turn once at anchor to avoid this type of situation. Of course if the wind was blowing onshore you may not make it off - the danger of a lee shore.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    IRL a ship could back sails to reverse similar to tacking when a ship makes sternway (second arrow on the red cards in SoG). A dangerous maneuver in high winds though. There were several other methods a ship could maneuver such as kedging - using the anchor and boats to move the head around and away from the shallows, etc. I don't think there is anything specifically in the rules that would get you out of this situation though.

You could add house rules to allow a ship to turn once at anchor to avoid this type of situation. Of course if the wind was blowing onshore you may not make it off - the danger of a lee shore.
    I completely agree with everything Eric has to say. You only get reverse if you can put the bow to the wind.

After anchoring, a ship would weather-cock, or turn her bow toward the wind. Use of a spring-line on the anchor rode allowed the captain to change the orientation of the ship to some degree from dead into the wind. If you can find it, reading an account of HMS "Magnificent" anchored on a lee shore in the Basque Roads is some exciting reading.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks for the responses.

The wind was straight into the stern of the ship in this situation, I guess it would have been pushing the ship into the island if any movement at all? IRL that is.

Guess I shall have to tell my Gf to be a better captain next time :D

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi John, as previously been said, there is no rule for a reverse gear. Once you hit an Islant basically that it for the game.
    Try a house rule for towing until you can play a manouvre card.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As a house rule we have used towing or warping off by ships boats. This involves, after being stuck for three cards, which time elapse accounts for Captain assessing damage, launching boats if not at action stations, getting an anchor aboard the boats etc. If in action stations boats will be in water towing astern so deduct one card from the delay.
    Then moving your ship directly backward one ruler width ie. musket range each time the other players have placed two cards. Once you have steerage room to come about, remembering that you will be starting from stationary, recall your boats, (Two more cards delay) You may then sail back as normal into action and repair any damage incurred. If the game has not finished in the meantime. It usually takes about nine or ten cards to get back into play.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.